• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Relfos

Steep parallax mapping

This topic is 3081 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I implemented parallax mapping but I'm not happy with the result, is not very different from normal mapping (unless I made some mistake). I was reading about possible improvements, and found about Steep Parallax Mapping. I cant find any demo that implements it on the net, I really need to know the performance compared to normal parallax. So I tried to implement it, and I found this website http://graphics.cs.brown.edu/games/SteepParallax/index.html It contains fragment shader code, but not vertex shader, I wonder what those two mean varying vec3 tsL; varying vec3 _tsE; I presume ts means tangent space, so tsL would be light vector in tangent space, but what about tsE?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Relfos

I presume ts means tangent space, so tsL would be light vector in tangent space, but what about tsE?

Eye ?

Just as a public service announcement, quadtree/image pyramid-based methods are more in line with current state-of-the-art.

Re: performance-- It's somewhat slower, depending on the hardware. If anything I believe techniques like the above might actually run slightly faster if you're clever about explicit LOD samples, as you can factor out/amortize the rather expensive derivative calculations for texture filtering. You're obviously doing more texture samples, though, which is a prime candidate for bottlenecking.

EDIT: Munged up my link. Fixed now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!