Steep parallax mapping

Started by
2 comments, last by InvalidPointer 14 years ago
I implemented parallax mapping but I'm not happy with the result, is not very different from normal mapping (unless I made some mistake). I was reading about possible improvements, and found about Steep Parallax Mapping. I cant find any demo that implements it on the net, I really need to know the performance compared to normal parallax. So I tried to implement it, and I found this website http://graphics.cs.brown.edu/games/SteepParallax/index.html It contains fragment shader code, but not vertex shader, I wonder what those two mean varying vec3 tsL; varying vec3 _tsE; I presume ts means tangent space, so tsL would be light vector in tangent space, but what about tsE?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Relfos

I presume ts means tangent space, so tsL would be light vector in tangent space, but what about tsE?

Eye ?
Quote:Original post by dgreen02
Eye ?

Yes, that's it!

Just as a public service announcement, quadtree/image pyramid-based methods are more in line with current state-of-the-art.

Re: performance-- It's somewhat slower, depending on the hardware. If anything I believe techniques like the above might actually run slightly faster if you're clever about explicit LOD samples, as you can factor out/amortize the rather expensive derivative calculations for texture filtering. You're obviously doing more texture samples, though, which is a prime candidate for bottlenecking.

EDIT: Munged up my link. Fixed now.
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement