• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jochen

vcbuild -- msbuild

This topic is 2991 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, k, now I got this shiny MSVC Professional and face the problem of porting automated builds to the new msbuild system... Hopefully this is a simple one for some of the msbuild pros :) Task: Convert the batch file that automatically builds assimp. Problem: The version used with MSVC 2008
vcbuild /logcommands /rebuild /override:AssimpDebugWin32.vsprops /platform:Win32 "workspaces/vc10Local/assimp.vcxproj" Debug
new version used with MSVC 2010
msbuild "workspaces/vc10Local/assimp.vcxproj" /p:Configuration=debug-st /p:Platform=Win32 ??? How to specify my property overrids. ???>
I know .vsprops is now .props, but how do I specify that in the command statement? Anyone got an idea? Best Jochen

Advertisement
well here is a workaround that doesn't use .vcprops or .props
at least it works for assimp, where I only need the boost include path:

msbuild "workspaces/vc10Local/assimp.vcxproj" /t:Rebuild /p:Configuration=debug-st /p:Platform=Win32 /p:IncludePath="%INCLUDE%;d:\Development\3rdParty2010\boost\Include\boost-1_43"

where %INCLUDE% expands to the correct microsoft include directories if called from a MSVC shell.

I hope this saves somebody else some time with messing around with msbuild.
However if someone should find the propper solution to this. I'd gladly get to know. :)

Best Jochen

Not sure what you're asking. You clearly already know how to set properties on the command-line (/p:PropertyName=Value) -- are you asking how to set a bunch of properties by loading them from a file?

MSBuild itself doesn't understand "property files" as a distinct type. The files you seem to refer to are for Visual Studio, not MSBuild (although they may be MSBuild format XML, I'm not sure). To have MSBuild load property files from a file, you can either modify your .*proj to import another .proj that sets the properties using MSBuild's XML syntax, or convert the values in your property files into the command line syntax in a new file and specify that as a response file on the command line via the @responsefile command line parameter.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!