Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cozman

Is this a good starting class for a tiled map?

cozman    583
I''m working on a map and this is my class so far: enum TileType{TT_BLANK = 0, TT_GRASS1 = 10, TT_GRASS2, TT_GRASS3, TT_WATER1 = 20, TT_WATER2, TT_WALL1 = 30, TT_PATH1 = 40, TT_SNOW1 = 50, TT_MAX}; enum TileCeil{TC_NONE = 0, TC_TEMP = 10, TC_MAX}; enum TileStr{TS_FLOOR = 0, TS_WEAK, TS_STRONG, TS_SPECIAL, TS_PERMANENT, TS_MAX}; enum TileArea{TA_TOWN = 0, TA_ARMORY, TA_HOTEL, TA_HOUSE1, TA_HOUSE2, TA_HOUSE3, TA_HOUSE4, TA_HOUSE5, TA_AUX1, TA_AUX2, TA_AUX3, TA_MAX}; class Tile{ private: TileType Type; //type of tile (for picture) TileCeil Ceiling; //ceiling of tile (for picture) TileArea Area; //area that tile is member of TileStr Strength; //Strength of tile unsigned int EventNum; //Event Identifier void SetType(TileType NewType, TileCeil NewCeil); //Sets types void SetStrength(TileStr NewStr); void SetArea(TileArea NewArea); public: Tile(void); void Init(TileType NewType, TileCeil NewCeil, TileStr NewStr, TileArea NewArea, unsigned int EventForTile); /*Accessors*/ TileType GetType(void) { return Type; }; TileCeil GetCeiling(void) { return Ceiling; }; TileStr GetStrength(void) { return Strength; }; TileArea GetArea(void) { return Area; }; unsigned int GetEvent(void) { return EventNum; }; bool IsWall(void); bool HasCeil(void); }; Is that going to work to make a tile map? I think I covered everything but just in case I didn''t I don''t want to get too far w/ something that has a major flaw. Thanx in advance . "this one time at computer camp..."

JackNathan    122
Well you are the only one that knows what your tiles need to represent. But for a good starting place -- why not use the absolute minimum you need to get something working and then expand. i.e. Just the graphic. Also I''d suggest using a database program and making a database of your tile types -- read that (or a text export) into the game.

Jack

Kylotan    9881
Looks fine to me. My personal recommendation would be to have all function bodies in the .CPP file though, as I like to avoid unnecessary recompiles, but if you feel they need inlining, so be it.

cozman    583
jacknathan- i made a very basic image based tile engine before, and yes, i am reading in values from a text file for initialization.

kylotan- thanks for the tip, i moved them over.

Possibility    122
It looks very good, and I would keep those functions in the header as inlining like that is faster. Also, I usually have the X and Y position (array index) of the tile on the map in the tile class also, it surprisingly comes in very handy.

Possibility