• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hyunkel

[SlimDX] Keyboard input

This topic is 3163 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been using Xna quite alot lately, but I feel the need to learn DirectX programming in C++. Since I haven't written anything in C++ for a long time, I felt that using SlimDX would be a good way to ease myself into DirectX programming, since I won't run into any problems related to C++. Anyways, I've been messing around a bit, and so far I seem to be doing ok, however I can't seem to figure out how to query my Keyboard in "realtime". I'm using Raw Input:
public InputHandler(Game game)
{
    this.game = game;

//Register Keyboard & Mouse
    Device.RegisterDevice(UsagePage.Generic, UsageId.Keyboard, DeviceFlags.None);
    Device.RegisterDevice(UsagePage.Generic, UsageId.Mouse, DeviceFlags.None);

//Events
    Device.KeyboardInput += new EventHandler<KeyboardInputEventArgs>(OnKeyboardInput);
}
void OnKeyboardInput(object sender, KeyboardInputEventArgs e)
{
    switch (e.Key)
    {
        case System.Windows.Forms.Keys.A:
            if(e.State == KeyState.Pressed)
                game.cam.Translate(new Vector3(0.05f, 0, 0));
            break;
    }
}
This works, but the OnKeyboardInput event doesn't trigger constantly. It triggers once, then there's a half second delay, and then it keeps triggering over and over again (but only a few times per second), the same way as if you'd be holding the key, say in a text editor or something. I don't see any way to query the keyboard state directly whenever I want, which is what I'm used to doing, because it doesn't have this problem. What's the proper way to handle keyboard input in "realtime", for example to make a character walk in a fps game, which needs alot of keyboard updates per second? Thanks, Hyu

Advertisement
Err yeah... I can't believe I didn't manage to find the solution for this last night... it's quite obvious.
The solution is to create a keyboard state yourself.

A Dictionary is quite nice for this:
public class KeyboardState : Dictionary<Keys, bool>
{
public KeyboardState()
{
foreach (Keys k in Enum.GetValues(typeof(Keys)))
{
if (!this.ContainsKey(k))
this.Add(k, false);
}
}
}

The Device.KeyboardInput event needs to modify the state:
void OnKeyboardInput(object sender, KeyboardInputEventArgs e)
{
switch (e.State)
{
case KeyState.Pressed:
kbState[e.Key] = true;
break;
case KeyState.Released:
kbState[e.Key] = false;
break;
}
}

Now you can query the keyboard state whenever you feel like it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!