• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CyJackX

OOP: Problem overriding a method used in a superconstructor! How to workaround?

This topic is 3077 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a constructor for a superclass, GravitationalBody, that calls a method: image = loadImage() loadImage() returns a BufferedImage from a SpriteStore. There is a subclass of GravitationalBody, RoundBody, in which the method loadImage() has been overridden by me to instead CREATE a BufferedImage made up of randomly chosen colors and lines. However, in this overridden method, the return is initialized as thus: loadImage(){ image = new BufferedImage(radius*2, radius*2, BufferedImage.TYPE_INT_ARGB); etc.... } However, radius is a field that only belongs to RoundBody, not GravitationalBody, and thus is not initialized yet. A runtime error generates when creating a roundbody, because BufferedImages cannot be started with widths/heights of 0, and GravitationalBody uses the overridden loadImage() when initializing Roundbodies. I've been using a workaround where I have a second method, titled planetGenerate(), which does the exact same thing, but is called in the RoundBody constructor. It works, but it irks me to no end that everytime the RoundBody is initialized, the loadImage() is called uselessly because it is overridden by planetGenerate(). Any OOP suggestions?

Advertisement
In C++ land we're not allowed to use virtual functions in constructors at all (well you can, but they don't work as usual). I'm (unfortunately?) indoctrinated in the C++ OOP ways, so I'd look at your design and see the use of virtual within a constructor as something abhorrent and to be redesigned ;)

As you mention, when the base constructor runs, the derived type hasn't yet been constructed, so trying to use polymorphic behaviours at this point isn't going to work.
Instead of using a polymorphic function in a constructor (to let the derived type choose how to construct itself), you should just be able to do that work from within the derived type's constructor (which is going to execute soon enough anyway).

Perhaps instead of making the constructors for these classes publicly accessible, you should have a static factory function on each class which constructs the object and then calls the loadImage method on it.

Quote:
Original post by CyJackX
Any OOP suggestions?

IOC. Inversion of Control.

class GravitationalBody {
public GravitationalBody(Image img, ....) {
this.img = img;
}
private Image img;
};

Image img = loadImage(.....);

GravitationalBody b = new RoundBody(img, ...);

Simple guideline is - never use new in constructor. Never do any logic in constructor, just assignment of variables passed in.

Pass all dependencies during construction.

Quote:
where I have a second method, titled planetGenerate()

This makes it something like an image factory. Usually, configuration will come from outside, perhaps via XML or text file, or similar. Let's have a Map<String,String> into which parameters have been parsed.
class ImageFactory {
static Image createImage(Map<String,String> config) {
if ("random".equals(config.get("type")) {
double r = Double.parseDouble(config.get("radius"));
Image img = // make random image with radius r
return img;
}
if ("planet".equals(config.get("type)) {
// make image of planet
return img;
}
// oops
return DefaultImage; // placeholder, usually image of [ERROR] written in red or similar
}
}

Then it becomes simple:
Map<String, String> m;
m.parseConfig("my_settings.foo");

Image img = ImageFactory.createImage(m);
GravitationalBody b = new SomeTypeOfBody(img, ...);

This moves all configuration out of code and into external files.

Quote:
In C++ land we're not allowed to use virtual functions in constructors
Horrors like BufferedImage exist in Java only.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!