Best 3D card to program DirectX 8 games..

Started by
5 comments, last by ogracian 22 years, 8 months ago
Hello I am interesed in buy a 3D card to code DirectX 8 apps, but I really dont know which one choose, so I was wondering wich will be a good choice to buy. I was looking for a 3D card wich support most of the DirectX 8 features, or which card is now the standard for PC 3D games? Thanks in advance! Oscar
Advertisement
...i can sense an ati vs nvidia flame war starting.... DON''T DO IT PEOPLE!!!

IMHO, the best card to choose, would be the one that your program would get run on the most. In other words, you should have the card that most people that would be interested in your games would have.

As far as just the best 3d card....
ATI tends to be cheaper and still gives good results, but for raw power... it''s nvidia all the way. From my experience and what others have told me, nvidia is more expensive, but gives better performance by far.

I personally have a geforce2mx, which is nvidia''s budget chipset. If your case has good enough cooling to be able to overclock this, it''s a great buy. Mine isn''t overclocked, but I have a bottleneck in my performance elsewhere so it doesn''t matter...

Drakonite

[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Shoot Pixels Not People
That''s great...''don''t start a flame war'', then you move on to start a flame war...

ogracian. If you''re going to use the features of DirectX 8, which you are not, you need either a geforce 3 or radeon. I''m pretty sure nothing else has shaders.

But since you''re on this site, you''d only be wasting a lot of cash by getting either card. Instead, buy something cheaper, like the aforementioned geforce2mx, or something similiarly priced.

G''luck,
-Alamar
Actually the GF3 is the ONLY available card with pixel shaders... so if you really want all the features of DX8 you need a GF3. If you don''t plan on using pixel shaders any GF varient or radion would do fine. Remember to aim at what you target audience will own.

Jack
ogracian/
It all depends on your budget. The GeForce 3 has comfortably the most complete set of DirectX 8 features, so if money isn''t an issue (it''s around £300 uk) then it''s an easy choice.

If you''re on a tighter budget then you should be able to find a GeForce 2 Pro (64 MB) for around half the price of a GF3. The Creative Labs GF2 Pro is good value (£160 uk). The DDR Radeons are also worth a look.
Yea, just because you can load 1024x1024 textures and they run fine doesn''t mean they will on everyones hardware. old voodoo''s can''t handle anything over 256x256 so you might want to consider backwards compatability. If, on the other hand this is only for personal use then, go for the geforce 3. You will be able to get into some really cool effects that you wouldn''t be able to do otherwise. nVidia will, imo, have a geforce 3 mx out soon enough. However, to stay impartial, I use a ATI Rage 128 pro. It holds its own, although it is missing the raw power I would love to have. ATI is realeasing a Radeon 2 in a couple months I believe, so you may want to look at that too. They have a white-paper on their site explaining some of the new features, which look absolutely amazing.
Hello

First of all thanks to all for your help. By other hand I dont have the intention to begin a flame war .

About the graphic card, well I want it to code 3D games using DX8, but since I think that not all my target audience will have a GeForce to support pixel shaders, I think I will choose and ati radeon, thanks for all your help! .

regards!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement