Car Physics

Started by
9 comments, last by G Man 22 years, 8 months ago
Help, I''m developing a 2D top down driving game on the GBA and need an elementry book on car physics..... Can anyone help? G Man
Advertisement
Can''t reccomend a book, but try this website:

http://www.oxforddynamics.co.uk/

It''s a library for car physics, or so I believe

--

Games, Anime and more at GKWorld

Meet Bunny luv'' and the girls, all ready to perform on your desktop just for you (warning: adult content).

Thanks mate....

Bit above what I''m after though....

Its just a simplistic, 2D top down racing game....

We just need some simple math to work out how the car will handle when turning under speed.

Thanks anyhow though

G Man

> I''m developing a 2D top down driving game on the GBA and need
> an elementry book on car physics.....

I don''t know that any such book exists. The books we use include "Tires, Suspension and Handling", "Dynamics of High-Speed Vehicles", and especially "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics". They cover the fundamentals of most aspects of car dynamics, using strightforward engineering maths, but they probably go into the subject in far more depth than you need.

I would suggest getting "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics": it''s not cheap but it''ll quickly pay for itself in time saved looking up/at other references. But I suspect it will of limited use for a 2D top-down racer: at best it will provide useful background on the most important factors in race car design/performance.
John BlackburneProgrammer, The Pitbull Syndicate
Simple 2D physics is all you should need then.
Pick a top speed for the car, pick an acceleration rate...
You could use momentum to figure out when to make the wheels squeal, and provide a little realism so that when you turn sharply you keep going in the old direction a little bit.

I doubt the GBA has the horse power to do Gran Turismo type realism for a bunch of cars in a race.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Depending on your level of maths, you may or may not find the following article useful. It includes a nice Kinematic model of vehicle motion that approximates a 4 wheeled vehicle by a 2 wheeled vehicle and covers all of the important physics. The above simplification would work well for your top down, 2D game. The article is

"Process Models For The High Speed Navigation of Road Vehicles" by Simon Julier and Hugh Durrant-Whyte, University of Oxford, Department of Engineering Science, 1995.

You can find the article online by doing a google search.

Good luck,

Timkin
Thanks for the help guys......

I know developing racing games for the GBA is not an intensive endeavour when it comes to physics....but with just a little, well written code utilising simplistic physics theory.....the results can really show....

thanks again....

G Man

Oh my fav. car game Driver the phsysics are good but I don''t the collision are absolutely correct but it''s a fun. It''d be great if they''d add a featuer to allow me to hit people on the side of the road so that I can see their guts just splater all over the camera(s). Similar to GTA but with out the camera thing.

Need for speed also has some nice collision and I love the sparks that appear on a collsion that would be another great idea to add to Driver.

I''m sure programming the physics was a pain in the but because the different angles of collsion and also the sliding of the car on turns, be nice if we could do a semicircle.

Just a post no real meaning.
Driver does have good physics, but my fav game is Midtown Madness 1 & 2. Their games show good physics and AI.
I dled Midtown Madness one day and the physics were nice but the cars weren''t fast and they never had bodies that changed shapes when a collision happened and that one good thing that driver and NFS have. No the one I dled was the first one so I don''t know what the second one has locked into the safe.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement