DirectDraw Surface Problem

Started by
12 comments, last by Rixter 22 years, 8 months ago
I have a very strange problem here, for some reason my program won''t create the primary surface using if(FAILED(lpDD->CreateSurface(&ddsd_, &primary_, NULL))) it gets to that line and stops. I''ve tried everything I can think of, taking it out of my class and putting it directly in WinMain, initializing the window several different ways, initializing directdraw several different ways, even intializing directdraw through the COM objects, all with the exact same result. I have all the includes I need and there are no problems until it reaches this point. If anyone has any idea what may be causing this, I could really use the help, thanks. __________________________________________ We get signal. There are bombs exploding all around us!!
Advertisement
I have the exact same problem. I''ve narrowed it down to adding a back buffer. I can get it to work in windowed mode without a back buffer though.

The return value that I would get is -2005532460 but I have no idea what DD code is associated with that.
2 Anonymous

>get is -2005532460 but I have no idea what DD code is
>associated with that

DDERR_NOCOOPERATIVELEVELSET

Means you should set cooperative level BEFORE you create a surface.

Good luck.
i know its stupid, but maybe itll help

did u remember to use your
ddsd.dwSize = sizeof(ddsd) ?

i once had the same prob, and it
turns out that was the prob, since
you must initialize it to zero

gil

Micro$oft beta testing:
"Does the splash screen works? SHIP IT!!!"
[email=gil@gilzu.com]Gil Zussman[/email]Check out Goose Chase, Coming this fall!http://www.gilzu.com
Well, things seem to be working now. The code to initialize and do everything is exactly the same as before, but I put most of it into main (the initializing direct draw stuff), the surfaces seem to be created ok now (this is done in a seperate class) so I don''t really have any idea what the problem was. The only thing I can think of is that I could have passed the LPDIRECTDRAW7 thing wrong, don''t know how though. After I know things are working and stable, I may try to break things out again, but who knows.

With fullscreen mode, it looks like it created the window because the background is the default window color and it looks like it changes the resolution to 640x400 because I get a large mouse pointer.

Here is the code I use (this is the function where it dies):
DDOBJ is LPDIRECTDRAW7
Primary and Back are LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7
RWidht is being passed 800 and RHeight is being passed 600

DDWnd::DDWnd(unsigned long RWidth, unsigned long RHeight)
{
DDSURFACEDESC2 ddsd;
DDSCAPS2 ddscaps;

Primary = NULL;
Back = NULL;
ResX = RWidth;
ResY = RHeight;

hWnd = CreateWindowEx(
WS_EX_TOPMOST,
"#32770",
"",
WS_POPUP,
NULL,
NULL,
GetModuleHandle(NULL),
NULL);

if (DD_OK != DDOBJ->SetCooperativeLevel(hWnd,
DDSCL_EXCLUSIVE | DDSCL_FULLSCREEN))
{
DestroyWindow(hWnd);
PostQuitMessage(0);
return;
}

DDOBJ->SetDisplayMode(ResX, ResY, 16, 0, 0);

ZeroMemory(&ddsd, sizeof(ddsd));
ddsd.dwSize = sizeof(ddsd);
ddsd.dwFlags = DDSD_CAPS | DDSD_BACKBUFFERCOUNT;
ddsd.ddsCaps.dwCaps = DDSCAPS_PRIMARYSURFACE | DDSCAPS_FLIP |
DDSCAPS_COMPLEX;
ddsd.dwBackBufferCount = 1;

if (DDOBJ->CreateSurface(&ddsd, &Primary, NULL) == DDERR_NOCOOPERATIVELEVELSET)
{
DestroyWindow(hWnd);
PostQuitMessage(0);
return;
}

ZeroMemory(&ddscaps, sizeof(ddscaps));
ddscaps.dwCaps = DDSCAPS_BACKBUFFER;
Primary->GetAttachedSurface(&ddscaps, &Back);
}
2 Anonymous

I checked my code for DD7 init and it looks almost exactly
the same, except that it''s located in WinMain().

It works fine with DX Retail and it fails to CreateSurface with DX Debug (for whatever reason). So, make sure you run DX Retail.
Also, you gotta be sure that DDWnd constructor is launched from the main thread, or else...
Thank you Friday 13. In all the DD tutorials I read not one mentioned that debug would affect anything.
1. In a debugger (F5 with debug app in MSVC), calling GetModuleHandle to find the application instance can end up getting the DEBUGGERS instance. Your program is run as a child process - I won''t go into the gory details, but normally its impossible for two applications to run at the same time and see each others address space - MSVC/a debugger has to do some nasty stuff to make it sort of appear like its happened.

2. If any objects based on DDWnd are global/static in your program, then thats ***VERY BAD***. Static/Global constructors get called **before** the C runtime library initialisation for your application has completed (if anyone needs the gory but clever details [__xc_a etc] I''ll explain them).

Doing any allocation or system coding in a constructor (static or not) is bad programming practice IMO - the only way to get errors back to client code is via exceptions, and a constructor isn''t a very nice place to cause one from (ie. object in half constructed state, partway through the allocator code).

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Well, the no debug mode helped some. Now I just get a screen with the default window color and an hour glass until my clock class I set up kicks in in 10 seconds and ends the program since it doesn''t respond to any key strokes. Here is the WinMain code where MainWnd is a DDWnd* and InitDD() calls DirectDrawCreateEx and creates MainWnd with MainWnd = new DDWnd(640, 400)

int __stdcall WinMain(HINSTANCE hInst, HINSTANCE hPrevInst, LPSTR lpszCmdParam, int nCmdShow)
{
LPMSG msg = new MSG;

nClock = new Clock;
if (!InitDD()) return 1;

while (1)
{
//So I dont have to restart my comp if it doesn''t work!
if (nClock->GetElapsed() >= 10000)
{
delete MainWnd;
if (DDOBJ) DDOBJ->Release();
return 0;
}

if (PeekMessage(msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_NOREMOVE))
{
switch (msg->message)
{
case WM_KEYDOWN:
switch (msg->wParam)
{
case VK_ESCAPE:
return 0;
break;
};
break;
default: