Sign in to follow this  
PM-Heavy

CRT has odd color

Recommended Posts

PM-Heavy    147
I was recently given an old Dell Trinitron P992 from a friend who was getting rid of his desktop. Whenever I turn it on the entire screen has a strong brown tint that slowly fades away for about 15 minutes. After that it looks almost completely normal. Does anyone have an idea on what could be wrong with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
benryves    1999
If some metal in the monitor is magnetised the colours may be distorted; does degaussing help? (CRTs usually degauss when you switch them on at the mains, but if not search for a button or menu item marked with a crossed-out magnet). If you have any magnets near the monitor (e.g. speakers) they may cause a problem. Does wiggling the cable affect the colour (which would indicate dodgy connectors or a fractured wire)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PM-Heavy    147
I already tried degaussing and it didn't help at all. Wiggling the cable does nothing either. There are no distorted lines or anything resembling what a magnet would do, it's just a brown color to everything. The weird thing is that it eventually looks almost normal if left on for some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ravyne    14300
My guess is that either one of the color guns is not working correctly or that the screen mesh is out or sorts in some way. In either case, it sounds as if whatever it is simply needs some time to 'warm up' -- so there's probably not much to be done about it without replacing it...

And on that note, don't go getting the urge to poke around inside to find out. Monitors work at very high voltage and there's a coil inside which steps up voltage from the mains, a pedestrian 120v, to a knock-you-on-your-ass-and-stop-your-heart 30Kv or higher. Trained technicians have a special piece of equipment to take the charge out of the coil before opening the beast up, but they can otherwise hold that charge for months or years, even after being unplugged. The coil, in concept, is similar to whats used in a vehicle to fire the spark-plugs from a 12v lead-cell, or to give a stun-gun it's disabling spark from a wee little 9v battery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PM-Heavy    147
I thought it was something wrong with the internal hardware, but I figured asking here couldn't hurt. I'll probably pick up another LCD when I've got some spare cash. Thanks for the info guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this