CRT has odd color

Started by
4 comments, last by PM-Heavy 14 years ago
I was recently given an old Dell Trinitron P992 from a friend who was getting rid of his desktop. Whenever I turn it on the entire screen has a strong brown tint that slowly fades away for about 15 minutes. After that it looks almost completely normal. Does anyone have an idea on what could be wrong with it?
Advertisement
If some metal in the monitor is magnetised the colours may be distorted; does degaussing help? (CRTs usually degauss when you switch them on at the mains, but if not search for a button or menu item marked with a crossed-out magnet). If you have any magnets near the monitor (e.g. speakers) they may cause a problem. Does wiggling the cable affect the colour (which would indicate dodgy connectors or a fractured wire)?

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

I already tried degaussing and it didn't help at all. Wiggling the cable does nothing either. There are no distorted lines or anything resembling what a magnet would do, it's just a brown color to everything. The weird thing is that it eventually looks almost normal if left on for some time.
My guess is that either one of the color guns is not working correctly or that the screen mesh is out or sorts in some way. In either case, it sounds as if whatever it is simply needs some time to 'warm up' -- so there's probably not much to be done about it without replacing it...

And on that note, don't go getting the urge to poke around inside to find out. Monitors work at very high voltage and there's a coil inside which steps up voltage from the mains, a pedestrian 120v, to a knock-you-on-your-ass-and-stop-your-heart 30Kv or higher. Trained technicians have a special piece of equipment to take the charge out of the coil before opening the beast up, but they can otherwise hold that charge for months or years, even after being unplugged. The coil, in concept, is similar to whats used in a vehicle to fire the spark-plugs from a 12v lead-cell, or to give a stun-gun it's disabling spark from a wee little 9v battery.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Moved to Hardware Discussion.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I thought it was something wrong with the internal hardware, but I figured asking here couldn't hurt. I'll probably pick up another LCD when I've got some spare cash. Thanks for the info guys!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement