Sign in to follow this  

Need advice on drawing large amounts of voxels/cubes

This topic is 2785 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I have developed an interest in 3d "pixel" games such as Minecraft, Infiniminer, Fez, and 3D dot game hero's. For the lazy, here is a screenshot of Minecraft (great game btw): Lets say I wanted to create a world similar to the one above. If the world is 256x256x128 (length x height x height) cubes/voxels that means I have 8,388,608 cubes to worry about. Clearly I wont be able to get away with drawing all of the cubes/voxels even with instancing. Frustum culling will help a lot but even then I need to reduce the draw calls far more. Occlusion culling could be fairly expensive too if i don't use an octree like structure. How should I go about storing and drawing the world? If you guys have any advice or know of material I could read up on please let me know. Also, if anyone knows how Minecraft does it I would love to hear from you. Thanks! [Edited by - arriu on April 27, 2010 10:48:25 AM]

You don't have to render all the cubes in the map. In fact, the majority of the cubes will represent "air". It shouldn't also be too difficult to create and update a mesh which represent the boundary of your objects.

Thanks for the reply,

In the screenshot that I posted above only the "tip of the iceberg" is visible. You can drill your way far below the sea-level. But lets say only 30% of the map is covered at any time, that is still a lot (about 3 million on a 256x256x128 map).

Also, creating a single mesh wont work. As you can see many of the voxels are transparent (trees and water).

Right off the cuff, I'd consider scan converting this in a shader.

If you have a load of textures for each height slice, you could do it all without any geometry at all. The texure load could be manageable as you can pile a lot of them into a texture atlas as being world maps they're not meant to be tileable.

Quote:
Original post by Rubicon
Right off the cuff, I'd consider scan converting this in a shader.

If you have a load of textures for each height slice, you could do it all without any geometry at all. The texure load could be manageable as you can pile a lot of them into a texture atlas as being world maps they're not meant to be tileable.

So you're suggestion is to store every cube in a large texture atlas and then generate all of the geometry with vertex texture fetch in the vertex shader? A texture of (256x128)x(256x128) would be huge. How do I add new blocks or remove them? Reading back a texture of that size is way too expensive. I would have to draw onto the texture... Seems like it might work but I am not sure that this is a good idea if I am planning to run this on an Xbox 360. Let me know if I understood correctly.

Also, I had a look through the developer blog for Minecraft and found this:

Quote:

* Cull backfaces. This is done per-chunk, so it has to be very forgiving, but it cuts out about 40% of all terrain quads. It works by dividing each chunk into six display lists, one per face, and only rendering the lists that are facing the player.

Does this mean that he stores the cubes in chunks and then has 6 lists for each chunk? Then when he needs to draw the scene, he draws everything as billboards?

Quote:

* Join adjacent strips of the same texture. If there's a rock next to a rock, why render two quads? Well, because I use a texture atlas, that's why. But by turning the atlas from a 16x16 grid to a 1x256 grid, I can repeat along u to make strips of the same texture. On a newly generated map, the average strip length is just over 2 tiles, so this cuts out 50% of all quads.

I cannot figure out how the game has time to look for adjacent quads?!

You don't need VTF - check out the various deep parallax occlusion tutorials for how to do this.

There was a link posted on this site somewhere to a nice animated grass tech that rendered like fins but produced the fins by raycasting in a pixel shader. Or altenatively, consider the original doom raycasting tech - all of that can be done on a PS with care.

tbh though I'm not even sure if the above would be desirable, I did say it was off the cuff, but I know it's possible to make it work having thought a bit more about it.

If I were doing this rendering method though, I'd go for the voxel cubes tbh :)

Don't forget you only need update the meshes when they actually change, so merging cells and stuff should be childs play. Double buffer the model data and you're all set.

In all honesty, if you spend time on this I can see it running in excess of 100 fps on a reasonable card - nothing is going on here that any GPU won't eat for breakfast.

While your world may be defined by voxels, you don't actually need to think in voxels when doing the rendering. Looking at the minecraft image you provided, if you didn't know that it was made up of cubes, you'd think it was the easiest thing in the world to draw. There's really not that much geometry there once you collapse all the cubes into flat tiled faces, as Rubicon says.

For example, think of a 10x4x20 hill in the map. This object is completely filled, with grass cubes on top and the rest as dirt. How many faces do you really need to render this? The naive solution is just to render it as cubes, which yields 10x4x20x12=4800 faces. A better optimization is only to render the cubes on the outside of the hill, since the ones on the inside are completely obstructed anyways. But even better is to think in terms of outside faces only. If your textures tile, you can render this entire hill in only 12 faces. TWELVE. You just need to write a function that goes through your voxel map, determines which cube faces are actually visible to the player, and then collapses them into larger faces. You can then keep the voxel map around for physics and player collisions and such, but use the collapsed face lists for doing the actual rendering. It would fly.

And if you're worried about not being able to atlas your textures since they need to repeat, don't be. So long as you make sure to concatenate all faces of a given material into a single draw call, any performance hit from the extra texture state changes will probably be dwarfed by the savings in geometry memory and pixel overdraw.

Thanks guys! I can't believe I didn't think of it as meshes sooner =)

Also, I just pushed the camera through a wall in Minecraft and took these screen shots (they support your proposed solution):

Also, it looks like the transparency used in that game is alpha testing, so everything can be drawn with one call, if so desired.

I worked on it a bit last night and here is what I have:

I still need to come up with a fast way to reduce the number of quads. At the moment I am only merging in one direction.

I've been working on something like this on-and-off (mainly off) for a while. I was able to get quite good performance by rendering a standard cube mesh with instancing, but I never got around to adding more obvious techniques like frustum and occlusion culling.

I've no idea how Minecraft achieve such speeds - culling faces per cube seems like a huge task, as does joining adjacent strips. Especially considering the amount of cubes that appear to be drawn at a time:

[Edited by - Barguast on April 29, 2010 6:03:43 AM]

Remember though that a lot of the operations don't need to be done every frame, only when the environment changes. If you split the environment into largeish chunks, you don't even need to update the whole environment, just the localised chunk where the change happened.

The guy who wrote "Fez" wrote some blog postings about how he turned pixel data into larger polygons for rendering efficiency.

One thing which occurs immediately to me is to process the voxel data. Cells which are entirely surrounded by other cells are trivially non-visible from any direction and that information won't change unless the structure changes.

To extend that; You may be able to decide for each cell if it's visible from each of the six sides. Since you easily know which side you're looking at, you can filter based on that. I can't trivially decide whether that will work or not...

"I cannot figure out how the game has time to look for adjacent quads?!"

You don't have to do it at RENDER time. You can do it at construction time...

Store in a cell a "type" indicator and extents in 3d... bytes will do.

So a stack of 4 stone cubes is actually one stone block which is 1x1x4 and three spaces which just say "occupied but already rendered". You'd have to mess with visibility culling a bit. Now you only have to draw one object. If you set this up properly, you can fiddle the polygon extents into the right place in vertex shaders.

Think of it like run-length encoding in 3d... but crucially here, you can work out how big the blocks are at the time you load or build the level.

I've been working on my own voxel engine for a few years now (http://www.thermite3d.org), and it quite happily handles volumes up to 512x512x512 voxels. A lot of the comments made so far make good sense but I'll summerise what I do.

Firstly, I break the world down into chunks of somewhere between 16x16x16 and 64x64x64 (the best chunk size depends of several factors). Next, I generate a mesh for each of these chunks. I actually use the Marching Cubes algorithm but this doesn't really matter - any algorithm for generating a mesh from the volume data is fine. I then upload these meshes to the GPU and use frustrum culling to decide what to draw. I can also send them to the physics engine for simulation.

As mentioned, the mesh data for a chunk only needs to be updated when the corresponding part of the volume data is changed. Most changes are fairly localised (explosions and stuff) so this helps keep down the amout of mesh regeneration.

I've also recently been experimenting with combining adjacent faces. There is a lot of research and information on the internet about 'mesh decimation' and 'mesh simplification'.

You can find more information in the following forum thread: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27394

I also wrote an article called 'Volumetric Representation of Virtual Environments' which is Chapter 3 of the book 'Game Engine Gems'. There's a lot more detail in there.

Indeed, chunking seems to be the way to go. I wrote a very basic voxel tessellator (lacking combining adjacent faces which I'm not sure I actually want). The tessellator produces a 16x16 voxel triangle mesh.

I'm able to draw 4096 (the number as shown in my screenshot above) of these chunks at 10 FPS (without instancing). All the chunks are the same at the moment so I don't know how representative of actual performance this is, but this is without frustum or occlusion culling and - perhaps most significant of all, with an almost 'full' chunk (whereas Minecraft is mostly empty space).

I have a feeling that a few basic optimisations, and perhaps chunk-based LOD will yield some good results.

I'll have an experiment with a more realistic test tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for you tips - and hopefully you're helping the OP too. (Sorry for the hijack :p)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quote:
Original post by Barguast
Indeed, chunking seems to be the way to go.

I have implemented chunking and quad merging on all 3 axis. The results are better than before but it is hard to tell with random voxel placement. Once I have a terrain generating system the numbers should improve since an even random distribution of voxels does not create many continuous internal features (caves). Here is a screenshot of the progress thus far (8x8x8 chunks, merging on all 3 axis within chunks):

Quote:
I have a feeling that a few basic optimisations, and perhaps chunk-based LOD will yield some good results.

Chunk based LOD sounds like a great idea. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to extract only the most important features for distant chunks?

Quote:
I'll have an experiment with a more realistic test tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for you tips - and hopefully you're helping the OP too. (Sorry for the hijack :p)

Haha, don't worry about it. You answered some questions I had. =)

The idea I had regarding chunk-based LOD was simply to double the size of the blocks and sample based on the most common block type within the larger block.

For example, at the highest LOD, my chunks are 32x32x32 and block size is 1x1x1. At the next one, they are 16x16x16, but the block size is 2x2x2 (which will be of the type most according in that 2x2x2 block). For example, if there are 5 solid blocks, it will be solid. If there are less, it will be air (not there).

Your quad merging looks quite affective. I wonder how this will affect tiling, though? I'm sure it'll speed things up to a degree, but I wouldn't want to lose the ability to wrap textures properly since (I think?) an implementation like this is dependent on using a texture atlas. Unless there is another way?

I hate to say it, but you've only done the easy bit. You geometry is now full of "T" junctions and these will show up as annoying glimmers when you start putting textures on.

For a solid display, you just cannot have a vertex resting in the middle of a line between two others - you have to stitch them such that any lines passing near or through a vertex actually weld to it properly.

Quote:
Your quad merging looks quite affective. I wonder how this will affect tiling, though? I'm sure it'll speed things up to a degree, but I wouldn't want to lose the ability to wrap textures properly since (I think?) an implementation like this is dependent on using a texture atlas. Unless there is another way?

Yeah I plan on using a texture atlas where my texture has width 1 and height equal to however many textures will be inside it. That will allow me to wrap on 'u'.

Quote:
Original post by Rubicon
For a solid display, you just cannot have a vertex resting in the middle of a line between two others - you have to stitch them such that any lines passing near or through a vertex actually weld to it properly.

I did not know about this. Do you have any information on why this happens when you apply textures?

Also, when I don't render wire frames the seams look solid to me. Am I mistaken?

Your scene actually looks better than I was expecting, but I can see a couple of examples of it in your pic. Like I said, it's not a blatant in-yer-face thing, but it does annoy people. It'll probably get worse when you move the camera around too.

There is a good article about T-junctions and mesh merging in general here

A snip from the article:

Optimization Goals

I have three basic goals in my mesh generation. They are in order of importance.

# Generate the fewest number of vertices that create T-Junctions
# Reduce the number of faces
# Reduce the number of vertices

A T-Junction is an intersection of two or more faces in a mesh where the vertex of one face lies on the edge or interior of another face. In many rendering engines, this can cause small cracks between textures due to round off error. (i.e. the EverQuest engine)

This topic is 2785 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.