python tips for a corss platform role playing game

Started by
3 comments, last by Captain P 14 years ago
Hello all, I have started game development on an RPG game and I need advice on how to script into blender, why blender, because I want window, mac, and linux users to play to their hearts content. The questions I'm asking for now are sort of general and a little vague, I want to be very flexible in this stage of development especially since you all probably know programming better then me. Any way. I need some advice on how to build a turn basted battle system, with movement based on a grid system, how to make characters level up, how to have a customizable system for levelling up, and how to set up an inventory system for items. and how to make a battle system where characters need to defend each other on the battle field and have a system of team work where character A being near character B will give a plus or minus in battle. correct me if im worng but... From what I have gathered so far is that I would need an array or database with all of the characters/ items in it and have the python script pull data from that list at level up or when you use or buy items. please mind that I would prefer to do this in game engine if possible. finally I would like to state that I know that rpg development is hard work, I'm a collage student working on a portfolio project with a completion date of 2 to 3 years, or longer if needed and am willing to go the extra mile to make a good game. P.S. if you leave your name on the post I will include you under special thanks in the game credits. P.S. always welcoming new members to development team. Any thing I learn and develop for the game engine I will post on this site for others to use in tutorial form/ downloadable script and content. [Edited by - atelliot on April 23, 2010 3:58:17 PM]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by atelliot
I need some advice on how to build a turn basted battle system, with movement based on a grid system, how to make characters level up, how to have a customizable system for levelling up, and how to set up an inventory system for items. and how to make a battle system where characters need to defend each other on the battle field and have a system of team work where character A being near character B will give a plus or minus in battle.

If things like these leave you puzzled, you're probably better off building some smaller, easier games first, for the sake of practice. Experience is an important factor (not only in RPG's, heh ;)).

Quote:From what I have gathered so far is that I would need an array or database with all of the characters/ items in it and have the python script pull data from that list at level up or when you use or buy items.

There are various ways by which this can be achieved. It really depends on what exactly you have in mind, though. Is the game going to be multiplayer or singleplayer? How much content do you plan for? How are you going to create it?
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
correct me if im worng but...

correct me if im wrong but...
thanks for the advice guys. to alot a little bit more info I already have a seasoned python coder with a computer science degree on board for the project, he wants me to learn some python though so that I can at least help and start projects for him to finish.

as for the game it self it will be fairly content heavy but the production of the game is broken down into episodes so that it it easier to distribute/ make.

thanks i will make some smaller games or at the very least trials for various battle systems.

keep the advice coming, it would also be helpful if you post links for tutorials and such.
as for the game it self it will be fairly content heavy but the production of the game is broken down into episodes so that it it easier to distribute/ make.

Ok, that's good - but you still want to think about how to get that content done. I've built FPS levels for some 9 years in my spare time, and it's a lot of work to build some decent stuff. If you've never done something like this before, you will almost certainly underestimate that part. It'll involve tool infrastructure that goes beyond just using Blender for models and levels, and it'll take a lot of time and artists. You could look into roguelikes and their random level generators to circumvent this to some extent.

Quote:thanks i will make some smaller games or at the very least trials for various battle systems.

That's a good idea. Writing prototypes to quickly discover what works and what doesn't (both technically and gameplay-wise) is smart. You don't want to be wasting a lot of time on something that turns out not to be fun - and for you, doing this is good practice.

Good luck with it! :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement