Sign in to follow this  
C3rial

Export from xna to .fbx

C3rial    113
Hi folks! Going for a bit of a longshot here, as it's not really a common task. Trying to make a helper application for some designers in our team, and it's supposed to work as a character creation app. However...here's the problem. I'm making this application in XNA, but our engine is being made in c++ from scratch. So I'm exporting models from 3ds max to .fbx and importing them to my project.Then there's the fun bit where XNA converts .fbx to .xnb. So now it's converted to .xnb, and I'm making bone-scale changes to the model in my app, and I'd like to export this to .fbx so I can import it to the engine later. So anyone have a good ideas as the best way to approach this problem? Do I: - create my own fbx importer and exporter to xna to avoid the xnb problem? - use existing importer/exporter (know of any?)? - use existing .xnb to .fbx exporter (know of any?)? - errr.....write an .xnb importer to the engine? :S Cheers!

MJP    19753
There are no XNA->FBX importers that I know of. I imagine that it would be a monumental pain in the ass, since you'd have to interop with the native FBX SDK. I would probably be easier for you to come up with some sort of simple engine-specific format that only has the data you need, and then export to that.

C3rial    113
Make the bone-scale changes in 3ds max (or some equivalent) you mean?
If that's what you meant, my answer is - I'm making this application for the designers:)

C3rial    113
Both of you - thanx for your replies :)
MJP: Yeah, I'm guessing that's what I'll end up with.
Just figured I'd try checking in here if someone had a better idea before starting;)