Sign in to follow this  
Die Hard

2D MMORPG

Hello, I'm planning to make a 2D MMORPG. It will be set in a postapocalyptic event. Characters will be ingame 24/7. If you're not logged in then you character is asleep. I've already made characters and walls and other stuff in Paint, I just need to know what software is best to use to make it work as a MMORPG. There must be a billard of useless functions in the game that no one uses because I like freedom and that stuff. Oh and it must be real time! I'm already using Game Maker V8, but that doesn't support the MMO aspect. Can someone recomment me some software or something else? Thanks in advance.

You could try RedDwarf Server, which is the "official" community fork of Project DarkStar after Oracle dropped support for it. Current release is 0.10.1, so it's prolly not near feature complete. I haven't looked at it, but as far as open-source MMO software goes, your choices are pretty lean due to the relative complexity of the task.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also: "Moved." Not really a Visual Arts related question.

you can try eclipse mmorpg 2d game engine but I warn u there are MANYYY 2d games.
I think runescape started from Eclipse too. http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/index.php

I'm sorry but I can't get either of those running. Would Gamemaker V8 be a solution? How easy is that to get running on MMO level?

Quote:
I'm sorry but I can't get either of those running.
What couldn't you get running? And what problems did you run into?

Quote:
Original post by Storyyeller
Well if you only want a couple dozen players, GameMaker is perfectly capable of creating such a game.
So I can host that on a server like a MMO game... but just with like about 50 people?

Quote:
Original post by jyk
Quote:
I'm sorry but I can't get either of those running.
What couldn't you get running? And what problems did you run into?
I saw an editor with neither of them. Just a client and server side.

[Edited by - Die Hard on April 29, 2010 5:29:12 AM]

I take it you can't program or have only limited scripting abilities then? If so your options will be severely limited, potentially to the point of having to change your goals to something a bit simpler.

A few questions:
1. Can you program/script at all? Is so, what language(s) have you used?
2. You've mentioned using Game Maker - have you used any other game making packages?
3. Are you willing to learn new things if necessary, or do you want something you'll be able to use with your existing skill-set? If you're willing to learn, how much time can you put in to it?
4. Do you have a budget, or are you after free software?

Off the top of my head, and without knowing all of your requirements yet, perhaps you could look at BYOND - it may or may not be suitable depending on the type of gameplay you have in mind, you skills and your willingness to learn, but it may be worth checking out.

Hope that helps! [smile]

Quote:
Original post by jbadams
I take it you can't program or have only limited scripting abilities then? If so your options will be severely limited, potentially to the point of having to change your goals to something a bit simpler.

A few questions:
1. Can you program/script at all? Is so, what language(s) have you used?
2. You've mentioned using Game Maker - have you used any other game making packages?
3. Are you willing to learn new things if necessary, or do you want something you'll be able to use with your existing skill-set? If you're willing to learn, how much time can you put in to it?
4. Do you have a budget, or are you after free software?

Off the top of my head, and without knowing all of your requirements yet, perhaps you could look at BYOND - it may or may not be suitable depending on the type of gameplay you have in mind, you skills and your willingness to learn, but it may be worth checking out.

Hope that helps! [smile]
I know a little bit of C++, but don't expect much from that. I do have about 6,5 years of experience with Radiant. I've so worked at companies and delivered material made in Radiant.

Yes I'm willing to learn new stuff, and I can use about 1,5 hour a day for that.

I can run a server 24/7, but besides that I can't pay for any liceses etc.

I'll look at that link, thanks.

I would suggest trying BYOND as well. It helped get me interested in game programming and is pretty simple to learn. The only thing is the language used to program with that requires specific tab spacings and will throw a fit if you miss a tab or / or anything of the sort. (Sorta like how C++ complains about ; and ) and } ect.)

It's very easy to create tiled based games with BYOND and there are several tutorial "worlds" on the website made by other BYOND users. Getting a lot of players to actually play your game on the other hand might be hard unless you have a group of friends that want to play or you create an amazing game that people want to play (Seems like the only games people like on BYOND are DBZ remakes and naruto)

Anyway I wish you good luck. BYOND is a pretty good way to get into the swing of programming as it doesn't force you to draw using code and you can get straight into the game programming aspect.

Have fun :)

This is the first time I have heard of BYOND, it looks like that would be a great solution for you.

Just as a reference - Torque 2D may work, but kind of overkill. Costs $250 and the MMO part would not be automatic. But it exists, just so you know.

Here is a list of MMORPG Creation Packages, however I have not used any of them.
http://www.devmaster.net/wiki/MMORPG_Creation_Packages