2D MMORPG

Started by
11 comments, last by Jrodan 13 years, 11 months ago
Hello, I'm planning to make a 2D MMORPG. It will be set in a postapocalyptic event. Characters will be ingame 24/7. If you're not logged in then you character is asleep. I've already made characters and walls and other stuff in Paint, I just need to know what software is best to use to make it work as a MMORPG. There must be a billard of useless functions in the game that no one uses because I like freedom and that stuff. Oh and it must be real time! I'm already using Game Maker V8, but that doesn't support the MMO aspect. Can someone recomment me some software or something else? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Someone please?
You could try RedDwarf Server, which is the "official" community fork of Project DarkStar after Oracle dropped support for it. Current release is 0.10.1, so it's prolly not near feature complete. I haven't looked at it, but as far as open-source MMO software goes, your choices are pretty lean due to the relative complexity of the task.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also: "Moved." Not really a Visual Arts related question.
you can try eclipse mmorpg 2d game engine but I warn u there are MANYYY 2d games.
I think runescape started from Eclipse too. http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/index.php
I'm sorry but I can't get either of those running. Would Gamemaker V8 be a solution? How easy is that to get running on MMO level?
Someone???
Well if you only want a couple dozen players, GameMaker is perfectly capable of creating such a game.
I trust exceptions about as far as I can throw them.
Quote:I'm sorry but I can't get either of those running.
What couldn't you get running? And what problems did you run into?
Quote:Original post by Storyyeller
Well if you only want a couple dozen players, GameMaker is perfectly capable of creating such a game.
So I can host that on a server like a MMO game... but just with like about 50 people?

Quote:Original post by jyk
Quote:I'm sorry but I can't get either of those running.
What couldn't you get running? And what problems did you run into?
I saw an editor with neither of them. Just a client and server side.

[Edited by - Die Hard on April 29, 2010 5:29:12 AM]
I take it you can't program or have only limited scripting abilities then? If so your options will be severely limited, potentially to the point of having to change your goals to something a bit simpler.

A few questions:
1. Can you program/script at all? Is so, what language(s) have you used?
2. You've mentioned using Game Maker - have you used any other game making packages?
3. Are you willing to learn new things if necessary, or do you want something you'll be able to use with your existing skill-set? If you're willing to learn, how much time can you put in to it?
4. Do you have a budget, or are you after free software?

Off the top of my head, and without knowing all of your requirements yet, perhaps you could look at BYOND - it may or may not be suitable depending on the type of gameplay you have in mind, you skills and your willingness to learn, but it may be worth checking out.

Hope that helps! [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement