Sign in to follow this  
Jarwulf

Swiftless vs NeHe OpenGl

Since NeHe is outdated what do you guys think of the Swiftless OpenGl/related tutorials? http://www.swiftless.com/ Good enough, or are there some better ones out there?

I've never used them, but after looking at the swiftless ones I would say that don't look that much better than NeHe (still teaching Immediate Mode and GLUT in tutorial #30... doesn't bode well).

I don't have any better suggestions, but I suggest trying to look for OpenGL 3/3.1/3.2 tutorials to learn the proper up to date rendering methods. Not sure if anything good is out there, but its worth a chance to look.

Quote:
Original post by karwosts
I've never used them, but after looking at the swiftless ones I would say that don't look that much better than NeHe (still teaching Immediate Mode and GLUT in tutorial #30... doesn't bode well).

I don't have any better suggestions, but I suggest trying to look for OpenGL 3/3.1/3.2 tutorials to learn the proper up to date rendering methods. Not sure if anything good is out there, but its worth a chance to look.

Hmmm..this is harder than I hoped it would be...its no wonder opengl is so difficult if there aren't any ways for a novice learn about it aside from the dry official documentation. I hate working with dead trees, anyway if anybody has an idea of where I can find good links to (beginner's) uptodate opengl or directx stuff I'd be grateful.

Also do you have any general rules to pick out what's good and current? Swiftless was written in 2010. Even on the official opengl site there are very old tutorials

[Edited by - Jarwulf on April 23, 2010 11:11:47 PM]

You could use the switfless one if you want to get a feel for transformations and drawing setting up the windows and stuff, but once you have a general feel for things you should try to start picking up some of the newer features, typically VBO's and shaders. You can find plenty of good tutorials on either of those subjects independently, just they aren't typically written for a total beginner and tend to gloss over the Day 1 stuff.

Generally any time you're reading a tutorial that has glBegin, glRotate, glTranslate, glutAnything, you should be wary, as that stuff's all depreciated. If you stick to the GLSL section of swiftless that might be good tutorials for shaders too.