Original machinima from another game as cutscenes?

Started by
7 comments, last by Daaark 13 years, 11 months ago
I had the strangest idea today, but I'm not entirely sure if I'm allowed to do this... I want to use the Doom engine to produce machinima cutscenes. ALL content used will be owned and original, I'm just suggesting the use of the engine for camera and rendering purposes. The idea is to capture video to be used in my current (commercial) game project. No Doom assets will be used aside from the executable.
Advertisement
Not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure if the owners of the engine find out and object you're going to be toast.
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
You should ask the owner. They might even allow it for a fee.
The thing is, the Doom engine is GPL. I know there's regulations for using GPL code, but my question is, what the terms are for using video.
You could use Blender 3D instead, it'd probably look better than the Doom engine anyway.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Quote:Original post by krez
You could use Blender 3D instead, it'd probably look better than the Doom engine anyway.
^This.

Blender is free, and will allow you to make NICE machinama animations.

If you don't know how to use it, hop over to BlenderCookie.com

Actually, Blender would look too good for what I'm doing. I'm making 8-bit dream sequences, if that helps to clarify exactly why I want to use Doom.
Blender is GPL, which means modifications of itself must also be GPL, but things produced by the tool are your creations.

So if the Doom engine is also GPL, I assume the same rules apply.

i.e. If you have to modify the engine to get it to do what you want, then those modifications can't be distributed without also distributing the source for them. However, anything that is outputted by this tool is your own creation (assuming those outputs aren't based on other copyrighted works, like ID's textures/maps/etc).
Quote:Original post by Nayus Dante
Actually, Blender would look too good for what I'm doing. I'm making 8-bit dream sequences, if that helps to clarify exactly why I want to use Doom.
You can make the same 8 bit dream sequences in Blender.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement