Sign in to follow this  

Registering a custom string class

This topic is 2787 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've been trying to register my own string class named asString in AngelScript, and I have a couple questions. I originally encountered a segmentation fault when using operator+ with my class (by the way, I run Linux), but when I changed the operator+ function to have a return type of asString * instead of asString it worked. Why is that? Shouldn't that cause memory leaks? For example: string a = "Hello "; string b = "world!"; string c = a + b; Wouldn't that leak memory, and not work as well, since c is of type string and "a + b" is of type string *? Unless there's something I'm not understanding about AS and/or pointers. But it compiles and runs fine. By the way, it's the same situation with asIScriptEngine->RegisterStringFactory. Thank you for your help. EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to say that asString is a reference type.

All string are internally asString*, and asString are reference counted (did you do that? ... because it was supposed you to do it).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference_counting

Oh, okay, I get it now. So then all reference types are dynamically allocated, and are deleted when they have no more references? I did make asADDREF and asRELEASE behaviours, by the way. I was just getting confused because I was seeing new without a nearby delete and the tutorial I was reading didn't explain it well.

This topic is 2787 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.