Sign in to follow this  
Jwhitethegamer

Learning Scritping and Languages

twistedjoe    100
Actionscript or python are two script languages with TONS of tutorial about making games, you should check this out.

And for the school things, it depend if you want to keep this as a hobby or as a job. If you want to do this for a living, it is extremely difficult to be hired without any diploma, even if you have the best demo in hand. The HR evil guards are likely to throw your resume to the garbage before they even ask for your name.

twistedjoe    100
It all depend on your motivation, if you start with a low level compile language like C++ you will find that the learning curve is steep as hell. But it is not impossible to learn by yourself.

If you want to start smoothly I recommend an easier (scripting) language like actionscript or python to teach you the basics.

Just search for tutorial, there is some on this site.... I think, and if you search things like "actionscript tutorial" or "absolute beginner tutorial" on google you are likely to find tons of beginner tutorial on the subject.

ishkabible    100
just my little 2 cents, if you decide to use action-script remember that AS1 and AS2 are super slow AS3 is OK but python related things have much more potential for speed. i know it sounds odd to think that you could even right something that worked AS2 that would actually run slow (i know i was when it first happed to me).
for instance take this game(download link):http://www.mediafire.com/?moxe2gmww1n

it's a simple 2D top down shooter i made in AS2, if you add too many zombies and bosses it lags. it only takes about 50-60 zombie or maybe ten of the bosses(for how the game is set up that doesn't feel like that many to me) and the game becomes unplayable. anyway even though it's not much it's pretty well maxed out AS2 in my opinion. anyway my point is that AS2 is slow and limiting AS3 is somewhat limiting and slow but no where near as bad as AS2. python blows all of them out of the water though plus i think you can get started (legitimently) in python for free.

Joneswilliamsc    100
No its not necessary to go school and learn the languages. According to me you have a lots of resources to learn the scripting. You can join the classes for it and learn from there that will take minimum time for you to learn it. If you want than you can learn it online also. There are lots of e-books as well as another books are available on net.