Sign in to follow this  
Meres

[web] Am i stuck with actionscript for this web game?

Meres    100
Hi, I'm starting to make a web game and am not sure if there are options other than flash and as3 to get this done. The reason I'm asking is that the game doesn't require major animations, and most could be done through php. I'll explain - The game will involve players travelling to different locations. While in travel, I would like them to be able to see and interfact with other players who are also travelling the same road. This doesnt need to be fancy and could be as simple as a dots moving along a line. Is there a language other than flash to accomplish this? Another question - As the game is location based, i'm not sure how to ensure that players cannot change locations quickly by just entering xxx.php into their nav bar. I havent used AJAX before, but possibly this is the solution? Thanks for any input. [Edited by - Meres on April 25, 2010 12:06:12 AM]

GWDev    286
Quote:
Original post by Meres
Another question - As the game is location based, i'm not sure how to ensure that players cannot change locations quickly by just entering xxx.php into their nav bar. I havent used AJAX before, but possibly this is the solution?

Hello,

store the information about the location in a database (with timestamp). Now everytime a player enters a location you can check if at this time the player is allowed to be at that location. Or you can store where the player travels and only allow him to enter this zone.

--GWDev

Meres    100
thanks for the reply.
ive considered this option and it would work alright for the problem of players switching locations - although i would like to disable them from being able to change via the nav bar all together.

any suggestions for a dynamic changing graphic such as when the player is changing location? is is possible to create this is javascript/ajax?

GWDev    286
Use the same file for all locations and load a template fitting the actual player position.

Like:

switch ($_playerpos){

case 1:
include location1.php;
break;

case 2:
include location2.php;
break;

}

Or write some template class/function thats loading and returning the data based on location id given.

There are of course different ways to solve this.