TOO old to be part of the industry?

Started by
8 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 12 months ago
I read this retard article saying that game companies are looking for candidates who are 18-21 to hire them(!)..WTF!!!...so what? the guys who are in their 30's and just graduated have no chance and should not have any hope?? It really messed me up! Even though i am 21 yo, when i'll get my Master i will be in my late 20's (I'm sorry that i went high school in another country and did not had the luxuries of the high school students in the US who can graduate earlier from college!!)
peter_jim89@hotmail.com
Advertisement
Frequently-Asked Question #71.
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m71.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

21 to old? Sheesh! I'm 24 so how does that make me feel? Companies want young blood so they can shape them into little peons... LOL

13 or 30. Talent is talent plain and simple no matter the age. Just look up Ken Silverman for a shinning example.
I'm 21, and work at a company with just over 100 people. I was hired at 20 out of college as a programmer. Since then about 30 people have been hired. I'm still the youngest programmer there. I'd say the average age for programmers at my company is probably 30. I'm pretty sure whoever told you that they're looking for people 21 and below has no idea about the state of the industry. My advice would be to stop listening to them immediately.
This man made my day: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=523021
Greek89 you start to annoy me.

Why can't you get over with this "I'm too old" shit? How many times and how many people need to tell you the same (that it's not a problem) to believe them?

You see in fact you seem to be too young, stop the hissy and get over it already.

You make the same fault as youngsters make: you believe the one counter-opinion (probably from a not so creditable source) instead of the tons of arguments and proofs you get.

And damn it, you even call that article "retard"!

Don't be so nervous!
Quote:Original post by szecs
Greek89 you start to annoy me.

Why can't you get over with this "I'm too old" shit? How many times and how many people need to tell you the same (that it's not a problem) to believe them?

You see in fact you seem to be too young, stop the hissy and get over it already.

You make the same fault as youngsters make: you believe the one counter-opinion (probably from a not so creditable source) instead of the tons of arguments and proofs you get.

And damn it, you even call that article "retard"!

Don't be so nervous!

Sorry, I know that i ve overdone it with this topic. But its because it took me 3 years to decide what i REALLY want to do and all i see is articles trying to sabotage (unintentionally) my decision. Thats why i want to confirm it that it is just me who has these doubts
peter_jim89@hotmail.com
You have been confirmed so many times.

It's your life, it's nice, that you took time to decide what you want to do.
BTW have you ever seen 18-21 year old mechanical engineers, doctors, whatever?

You are not late with your career. you are never late with career. You can be late with your life. I think it's more important to live (while you are young so you can do it) than to build your career.

Spare me, people usually don't feel bad, when they think back to their career that started late.
But people do feel bad (very very bad), if their life started late (or never even started).
I didn't graduate from university until my late 20's, however within my first year of employment I worked my way up to a lead position. I'm not denying that circumstance (and just plain luck) had a lot to do with that, but similarly, so did my age and level of maturity, in a space where many of my peers were 5 to 10 years younger than me.

Chronological age has nothing to do with employability.

The creative industries are driven by appliability of practical skills. Your age matters in the kind of jobs where you might be required to do heavy lifting, or in a position in which the employer is looking to pay as little as possible for a junior office monkey.

But your employment opportunities will come from your education, resume, and if applicable, your reel. A good attitude will help heaps too. Let's hope you can develop that.
Quote:Original post by szecs
You have been confirmed so many times.

It's your life, it's nice, that you took time to decide what you want to do.
BTW have you ever seen 18-21 year old mechanical engineers, doctors, whatever?

You are not late with your career. you are never late with career. You can be late with your life. I think it's more important to live (while you are young so you can do it) than to build your career.

Spare me, people usually don't feel bad, when they think back to their career that started late.
But people do feel bad (very very bad), if their life started late (or never even started).

good point! thanx a lot!

peter_jim89@hotmail.com
Quote:Original post by Greek89
thanx a lot!

Closed.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement