The Chipped Dagger (2D Java MMO) -- Alpha Testing

Started by
29 comments, last by pink_daisy 13 years, 10 months ago
I've deployed builds 95, 95a, 96, and 96a now. I've also fleshed out the combat system to include the other special attack types. It makes combat much more strategic. I've had about 250 people log in to play in the two weeks it's been up. The game continues to improve and i've got a lot of great feedback from the players!

I also edited my original post with an updated screenshot of the game. The graphics are also continuing to improve.
www.ChippedDagger.com"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither." -- Benjamin Franklin"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door." -- Milton Berle
Advertisement
100 Days of development and 30,997 lines of code later I have a playable MMORPG!

I did some website redesign yesterday to celebrate the milestone.

I've also deployed numerous additional builds including build 100. I finally added in corpse decay as players didn't like all the dead bodies around. :)
www.ChippedDagger.com"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither." -- Benjamin Franklin"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door." -- Milton Berle
Builds 101, 102, and 103 are live now. I've fixed numerous bugs related to packet loss. There are many new small features that went live this week as well. There are also some new weapon types and armor added to the game!
Build 106 is up!

[bugfix] resolved issue with failed chat PM where the old one remained open
[bugfix] resolved rare case where player avatar could be overwritten by a monster in the map window (display bug)
[bugfix] current health/stamina no long exceeds max health/stamina when equipping or unequipping items
[change] recent seismic activity caused cracks in the ground to grow larger.
[change] water is seeping into into the underground caverns.
[change] recent reports indicate crevasses are more dangerous now.
[change] legendary creatures are evil.
[change] mobs will take notice of your arrival into a dungeon.
[feature] added tokens tab to the market.
[feature] players can now delete items inside corpses.
[feature] world events!
Quote:Original post by pink_daisy
I started working on a 2D Java MMO 83 days ago. It's pretty light on graphics, but it has some interesting gameplay concepts. It's still rough around the edges, but I figure I'll charge the players to play it anyway during alpha, despite how underdeveloped it is, and they'll just lose all the items they obtain after beta. They also will not be compensated at all for donated money.

I'm at a point where I would like to get some feedback, but I don't accept negative feedback well, I'll rage out and BS at you making assumptions because I am an emotional being that is not suitable to moderate a game. Test my networking code, check my server stability, and pay me for it. I expect you to pay me for this as well. You can play it here:

The Chipped Dagger

Some of the features:

•One seemless world (no sharding and no instancing). (except for dungeons, houses, and crevasses, but that doesn't count; right?)
•You can find new items! (but they suck and are severely limited if you don't pay for the game!)
•You can't invent new items!
•You can't reverse engineer an existing item.
•PvP (you can attack anyone anywhere, but in nearly all areas there are penalties for attacking).
•Full loot PvP (if you can kill your opponent, you can loot his belongings, but administrators cheat and instant kill you for over 9000 damage if you try to PvP.)
•No player owned housing.
•Very restrictive classes, no skill-by-use grinding. Actually play the game instead of watching your XP bar or a countdown timer all day! Play the game by grinding for gear and running around in circles hunting for rare monsters that are barely worth killing so that you might get one worthwhile item from them if you're lucky!
•Monsters spawn in random locations at random times. Overtime they migrate. No more spawn camping, except well, everywhere.
•More than 200,000+ monsters roaming the overworld and in dungeons! But don't worry, you can only access 11 types of monsters~ and probably only 30,000 of them. Unless you pay 10$ a month for an alpha test game!
•Be remembered as the person who found a legendary item that got outdated in a week!
•A sandbox game instead of a themepark one except we strongly discourage pvp.
•Very low system requirements to play. Nearly any modern computer with Java installed should do, but don't worry: if your computer sucks it will leave you at a severe disadvantage! Players run faster depending on their internet connection and computer! If you have a T1 line you will be invincible!
•Compared the multi-gigabyte downloads of many MMOs, this one is only a couple-megabyte, and only 30,000 lines of code. It's small and underdeveloped being only made by two people. Both of which moderate the chat together and are stubborn old men that cannot take negative feedback well! They also don't like it when you corner them with multiple people disagreeing with you- They wave their ban stick and say you're full of BS.

[edit] updated screenshot: don, the head developer and site admin: camping my friends corpse using an illegitimately obtained weapon; as punishment for PvPing in a so-called open PvP sandbox game.

I fixed that post of yours for you. 100% true.

Seriously guys, this game is not worth playing, especially not paying for! In concept it was refreshing, but the game is corrupt! The whole 2 people on staff are not capable of managing this game at all, they lie to players about their intentions, they are very stubborn/immature and unprofessional about things. They'll ignore what everyone says and make assumptions about your personal life and pass you off as a worthless player; one that wouldn't ever cough up the 10$ monthly alpha fee to play premium just because you would disagree with them.

I personally was one of the first players to play and support this game with dozens of my suggestions, well thought out feedback, bug reports, and contributions to the world maps development using the games editing software. I encountered many emotional outbursts by don. He in my opinion is not one level-headed enough to be the head person responsible for this game. He overworks himself, and takes out his stress on the players at any chance he gets. He tries to keep his cool, but in general he can't handle it.

On the forums my name is shadow, look at my posts if you wish. I've found myself leaving the game, why? Because don forced me to.

At the time, I was the top player. I was nearly unbeatable with hours and hours of farmed items obtained, dominating the market with 80% of the items for sale!
I was the most devoted and active player, I helped out new players, and would often talk alongside the two developers. What changed, what made me quit? don banned me, he banned me for pvping out of boredom.

Why would he do that? Well, MMORPGs are about character progression, and my progression was at its cap. I had nothing better to do than attack everyone I could using my legitimately obtained items from hours upon hours of playing.
I chose to change my play style from PvE to PvP.

How did don handle this? He both banned and killed me in one hit with an admin weapon dealing over 9000 damage (no, this isn't just some meme reference for jokes, I'm being serious, I have a screenshot of him griefing my friend afterwards with the weapon.) He just cheated and killed me, took everything, then threw me aside.
After he banned me and my friends for PvPing in his so called open PvP sandbox game, I told him that he just lost 3+ customers. All he had to say was: You wouldn't have paid to begin with. I said I planned on it, just not during alpha, only an idiot would spend money on premium content during an alpha test.
All he had to say to that was: You wouldn't have paid to begin with, you just want me to work for free. I said no, I want you to finish your project before I pay you for it, only an idiot would spend money on premium content during an alpha test. The benefits do not passover to the release of the game, and you yourself said there is going to be another wipe before release, so all my progression would have been lost, why would I pay for that? I don't exactly have money to throw away or donate to game developers. I'm not rich, if you want me to pay for your game, give me a good incentive to. All he had to say was: You wouldn't have paid to begin with, you just want me to work for free.

The game has no animation what-so-ever, lackluster graphics, and only one sound effect! A whole 2 people are developing it, and they have 3-10 players on at once.
The game revolves around who can spam the most potions. That is all the metagame is. Attack, spam potions so you don't die in 2-3 hits, run out of potions, farm more potions, repeat.

Note: While my personal experience may leave the impression that my opinion is biased and I am merely out for a vendetta, I assure you I am not. I simply don't want anyone else to waste as much time in this time sinkhole as I have. The developers are people that will talk badly about you behind your back, and they are hypocrites. I am somewhat unsettled with the outcome of these events, and I would personally like nothing more than the game to die. My opinion is however, just and valid. The only enjoyment I had in the game was the fact that:
I was the top player,
I was helping the developers develop it,
The community was tightly knit,
I was a positive community leader.

I implore you all, do not play this game. You will regret the time you waste here.

~Shadow
Quote:Original post by Tazuwukei
Why would he do that? Well, MMORPGs are about character progression, and my progression was at its cap. I had nothing better to do than attack everyone I could using my legitimately obtained items from hours upon hours of playing.
I chose to change my play style from PvE to PvP.

But I thought Chipped Dagger didn't use levels, only items that constantly increase in power/value?

Perhaps Don banned you because you were killing every one? No one is going to want to play the game he's poured countless hours of his life into if they get killed consistently by someone who they'll never beat.

He's a griefer. He's just QQing after being banned. Yes the game sucks according to him yet he asked to be unbanned even after he made that post. I guess the fact that the game is attracting griefers means i'm making progress!

Build 109 patch notes:

[feature] added lore for all monster types (a big thanks to Rance for working on this project!)
[change] decreased each security zone radius from 200 to 100. This means places more than 400 tiles of the start point is now an open pvp area (it was previously 800 tiles)
[change] criminals are no longer allowed in secure areas. criminals are now respawned near a new lava town in the no-security zone. Note: players are not allowed to create new accounts to avoid their criminal status.
[change] criminal status now occurs at -200 karma instead of -300 karma.
[change] some of the karma titles
[graphics] updated belt graphics, new club graphic, updated fur, updated hatchets, updated iron ore, 3 fixed terrain tiles, updated bridge tiles.
[added] extra security measures to prevent multiple account creation/logins from a single player.
[bugfix] resolved issue where higher level recipes would sometimes require stacks of the base type. Since the base type wasn’t stackable the they couldn’t be crafted.
[change] recipes now have a small chance or requiring an additional ingredient type to craft.
[bugfix] private messages sent between players were being logged in the databse as chat messages. Only public chat channel messages were supposed to be logged. The bug was fixed and all private messages players sent each other were delete from the server.
[change] recipes now have a maximum numbers of uses before they are no longer usable. Potion and coins recipes are very high. Weapons and armor are very. Note that recipes can be duped using reflecting ponds. The remaining number of uses is listed in the recipe tools and lore windows. all existing recipes had uses added to them.
[bugfix] items inside bags were not removing the ownership flag of the deceased causing the new owner to be unable to remove the items.
[change] players will now respawn with their chipped dagger after death!
[added] number of world events to stats page on the website.
[added] current world events are now displayed at login.
[change] world event monsters now give more karma than others.
[change] legendary creatures now have a low chance of dropping a token. World event creatures have a good chance of dropping a token.
[bugfix] player weights were not being updated after successful player to player trading
[feature] hotkeys can now be removed
[feature] hotkeys are now remembered between sessions
[change] player corpses now decay after 24 hours.
[bugfix] all old bugged player corpses were removed. If you find another player corpse with inmovable items, please report the corpse coordinates!
[added] static tree and rock textures from krumple as requested by the world builders.
Quote:Original post by pink_daisy
He's a griefer. He's just QQing after being banned. Yes the game sucks according to him yet he asked to be unbanned even after he made that post. I guess the fact that the game is attracting griefers means i'm making progress!

Lul I never asked to play your shit game again, don't put words in my mouth you F-class developer.

~Shadow
Yeah, Shadow was killing everyone which is really lame when pink_daisy is just trying to start an MMO (and one that isn't all that bad either!)

good luck with development, I might stop by again now that Shadow's out of the picture :)
Popcorn Smiley

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement