The Chipped Dagger (2D Java MMO) -- Alpha Testing

Started by
29 comments, last by pink_daisy 13 years, 10 months ago
Note: please see last post in thread for the lastest updates! I finally added a system for permanent character advancement. It was one area of the game tha t players felt needed a change. I started working on a 2D Java MMO 83 days ago. It's pretty light on graphics, but it has some interesting gameplay concepts. It's still rough around the edges. I'm at a point where I would like to get some feedback, test my networking code, and check my server stability. You can play it here: The Chipped Dagger Some of the features: •One seemless world (no sharding and no instancing). •Random dungeons. Lots of them. •You can find new items! •You can invent new items! •You can reverse engineer an existing item. •Nearly everything in the world is craftable including the ability to mint coins. •PvP (you can attack anyone anywhere, but in some areas there are penalties for attacking). •Full loot PvP (if you can kill your opponent, you can loot his belongings). •Player owned housing. •No restrictive classes, no skill-by-use grinding. Actually play the game instead of watching your XP bar or a countdown timer all day! •Monsters spawn in random locations at random times. Overtime they migrate. No more spawn camping. •More than 200,000+ monsters roaming the overworld and in dungeons! •Have an permanent impact on the world. Place your house where you want to. Setup markets where you want to. Modify the terrain near your buildings. Be remembered as the person who found (or invented) a legendary item! •A sandbox game instead of a themepark one. •Very low system requirements to play. Nearly any modern computer with Java installed should do. •Runs on Windows | Mac OSX | Linux | Solaris and maybe a couple other places where Java is installed. •Compared the multi-gigabyte downloads of many MMOs, this one is only a couple-megabytes. [edit] updated screenshot: [Edited by - pink_daisy on May 21, 2010 2:28:17 PM]
www.ChippedDagger.com"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither." -- Benjamin Franklin"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door." -- Milton Berle
Advertisement
It looks pretty cool I will try it out. One thing I have to say is that the inventory reminds me a lot of Runescape.

Game Development Tutorials - My new site that tries to teach LWJGL 3.0 and OpenGL to anyone willing to learn a little.

Quote:Original post by emforce
...reminds me a lot of Runescape.

heh, more than 1 person made similar statements. Odd as i've never played runesccape. I'm more of a UO/Diablo/EVE player myself.

Build 86 is now live based on player bug reports and feedback. Thanks to those who have given their input.

Is anyone having issues launching the game? Other observations or advice?

thanks!

www.ChippedDagger.com"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither." -- Benjamin Franklin"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door." -- Milton Berle
I think that the stamina gauge was a nuisance. It isn't any fun to have to rest for several seconds just so I could walk a few more steps. Maybe you should just limit the walking speed rather than use the stamina meter to regulate how fast someone can move?

Other than that I think you're off to a great start!
Quote:Original post by smr
I think that the stamina gauge was a nuisance. It isn't any fun to have to rest for several seconds just so I could walk a few more steps. Maybe you should just limit the walking speed rather than use the stamina meter to regulate how fast someone can move?

Other than that I think you're off to a great start!

thanks! I toned down the stamina drain such that characters with little inventory weight burn is much slower now. It's much less frustrating this way. :)

Oh, and there's a new build up of the game!

thanks.

build 88 is up. This one is mostly UI bugfixes, and updates to make the gameplay smoother.

[bugfix] tooltips were not being updated from doubleclick move
[bugfix] market item text now correct color based on item level
[bugfix] issue with mutliple login dialogs appearing if a player idles at the login screen
[update] compressed terrain data to reduce packet size
[bugfix] partially fixed issue on clients with low MTU values set
[bugfix] item weights were shown incorrectly in tooltips and lore windows
[bugfix] tooltips and lore windows were truncating long names
[bugfix] recipe lore windows were missing item names
[bugfix] was possible to duplicate harvestable items using a crafters hall!
[bugfix] mob corpse tooltips now have same text color as the mob had
[bugfix] various UI windows were unrecoverable after being closed
I like this game.
I can see it's still in Alpha, but it's playable and enjoyable. I can't wait to see the final product!
Quote:Original post by grayaii
I like this game.
I can see it's still in Alpha, but it's playable and enjoyable. I can't wait to see the final product!

thanks! I'm glad people are getting enjoyment from playing it. :)

Today is day 90 of development on The Chipped Dagger. There's a new update/content patch out today. Here are the patch notes:

[added] various new monster images, harvestable item images, and terrain tiles
[changed] adjusted magical item text colors
[changed] adjusted stamina drain a bit
[added] better error feedback when failing to load terrain data
[added] client now displays build number
[changed] map is now black by default, and info message in map titlebar to aid in MTU debugging issues
[changed] lowered max chat message length to 512 characters
[changed] lowered max packet size
[added] packet chunking to deal with player MTU issues
[bugfix] character sheet default values correctly zero’d now in the client at startup
[added] confirm dialog when attempting to destroy an item
[changed] reduced items per page in the market from 20 to 10
[bugfixes] various serverside bugfixes
[bugfix] map was not always refreshing after players respawns upon death
[bugfix] stamina drain was bugged and thus too high. stamina drain is now much more closely tied to character weight
[bugfix] recipe ingredient lists were not showing
[update] mob lore windows now give much more detailed information regarding monster abilities and lootable items.

content changes:
increased magic drop rates
increased recipe drop rates for most items (but somewhat lower for potions and coins)
monster hit points and abilities were somewhat lowered for the lowest level monsters.
monster hit points and abilities were _dramatically_ increased for higher level mobs.
drop rates for the highest level mobs is now substantially better than before.
drop rates for higher meta level monsters now scales much better and more difficult mobs should give better rewards.
doubled number of mob spawn location, and lowered active spawns for spawners
decreased the number of spawns for any individual spawn site before it goes away and a new random one is spawned elsewhere on the map to replace it
dozens of new harvestable items were added
base mob types increased from 11 to 40

Because of the magnitude of the change, the world was reset along with all the items in it. Today is a fresh start for everyone. A big thanks to everyone for all the testing and the great bug reporting and feedback!
I deployed builds 91a and 91b today. Among the usual bug fixes and small updates I fixed many of the UI issues that players brought up especially related to map focus. I also added hotkeys for potions today as that was an often requested feature.
Builds 93, 93a, and 94 have gone live now. I'm continuing to squish bugs and push out new features that players seem most interested in (or complain the most about).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement