Sign in to follow this  
karwosts

[solved] Perlin noise shader: almost there, but some minor discontinuities

I've been working on a shader to create a perlin noise texture. I've got it almost working, but I can still see some minor discontinuities in the higher octaves and I can't quite place what is the issue :S Anyway here is my best result so far. You can see that the cloud texture is almost like I want it, but I can still see minor grids of discontinuity where the texture is repeating (you can see it in the fullsize image): Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us How I create the texture: On CPU I generate a small texture of the gradients used for perlin shader.Each texel of the texture represents a 2d vector in a random direction. To enable tiling, I duplicate the vectors around the edge: Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Finally the pixel shader. For this shader I'm just drawing a fullscreen quad, with texture coordinates from (0..numGradients, 0..numGradients). maxTex is the same as numGradients, and allows me to wrap the texcoord for higher octaves.
uniform sampler2D gradientTex;
uniform vec2 maxTex;
in vec2 vTexCoord;

void main()
{
	float finalval=0;
	for(int i=0;i<4;i++){ //Four Octaves of Noise

//Mod the texture coordinate for tiling
		//Each octave is 2x the frequency of the last
		vec2 modTex = mod(vTexCoord*pow(2,float(i)), maxTex);
		vec2 whole;
		vec2 fraction;

//Split into whole and fractional parts
		fraction = modf(modTex ,whole);
		ivec2 texindex00 = ivec2(whole);

//Get the four gradients surrounding the pixel
	 	vec2 texel00 = texelFetch2D(gradientTex,texindex00,0).rg;
		vec2 texel10 = texelFetch2D(gradientTex,ivec2(texindex00.x+1,texindex00.y),0).rg;
		vec2 texel01 = texelFetch2D(gradientTex,ivec2(texindex00.x,texindex00.y+1),0).rg;
		vec2 texel11 = texelFetch2D(gradientTex,ivec2(texindex00.x+1,texindex00.y+1),0).rg;

//Compute the value at the four corners
		float val00 = dot(fraction, texel00);
		float val10 = dot(fraction-vec2(1,0), texel10);
		float val01 = dot(fraction-vec2(0,1), texel01);
		float val11 = dot(fraction-vec2(1,1), texel11);

//Smooth polynomial bi-lerp
		float interp0 = val00 + (3*pow(fraction.x,2)-2*pow(fraction.x,3))*(val10-val00);
		float interp1 = val01 + (3*pow(fraction.x,2)-2*pow(fraction.x,3))*(val11-val01);
		float interp2 = interp0 + (3*pow(fraction.y,2)-2*pow(fraction.y,3))*(interp1-interp0);

//Let the first octave be between 0-1
		//successive octaves between -1/2^n,1/2^n
		if(i==0){
			finalval += (interp2+1)/2;
		} else {
			finalval += interp2/pow(2,float(i));
		}

}
	gl_FragColor = vec4(finalval,finalval,finalval,1.0);
}

Thanks to anyone who has any ideas on where my miscalculation might be! [Edited by - karwosts on April 25, 2010 7:00:48 PM]

Found the issue. When uploading my gradients through OpenGL I used the wrong texture type, causing the x and y components of the gradients to be clamped to [0,1], when they should have been [-1,1]. Whenever either component of the gradient vector was negative it was zeroing it causing lots of bad visual artifacts.

Looks great now!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us