Sign in to follow this  
slaguth

Thopter 0.3 released (2D scrolling shooter)

Thopter 0.3 has been released! Thopter is a 2D scrolling shooter game in the style of Raptor: Call of the Shadows, with support for LAN multiplayer co-op mode. Version 0.3 includes new support for arbitrary numbers of player in multiplayer, and the first ever build that does not crash on Windows :-) Downloads for Windows and Mac OS X are available now, with Linux coming soon! See the Thopter home page for more info. Comments welcome. P.S. Thopter is looking for artists. Check the help thread to see what we need. [Edited by - slaguth on April 28, 2010 11:39:47 PM]

Hi,

There's still a lot of work to be done, even though it's version 0.3.
How do you respawn?
The input code seems to be rusty, most likely caused by using if else causes.
If I press left up and space, it will not execute one of those actions. Try it out for yourself a few times. It's cool that you made a few powerups, but then again, there's no connection between them and the player. Make aome sounds (there are none at all, though you've got a high res soundtrack this early?) or show a sprite animation when you pick something up (e.g. the spaceship that flashes) or something similar. Condition the effect with the player's action.

Nick

Thanks for the feedback. You're completely right about the UI/sound/animations, the game still needs a lot of work.

Currently you have to exit the game and start it again to respawn. (This is yet another thing that needs to be fixed.)

About keyboard input: the problem is actually your keyboard. Try any game (or any application) with the controls set to arrow keys and space bar. The keyboard isn't capable of registering up, left, and space bar at the same time. The code I'm using actually does a vector addition of all the directions (no if/else statements involved), and it works fine on keyboards that can handle the input (e.g. my Macbook).

Quote:
Original post by slaguth
The code I'm using actually does a vector addition of all the directions (no if/else and it works fine on keyboards that can handle the input (e.g. my Macbook).

The majority of keyboards these days can't handle such combinations of keys. Requiring them for your game is a serious design flaw.

Quote:
Original post by LennyLen
Quote:
Original post by slaguth
The code I'm using actually does a vector addition of all the directions (no if/else and it works fine on keyboards that can handle the input (e.g. my Macbook).

The majority of keyboards these days can't handle such combinations of keys. Requiring them for your game is a serious design flaw.

It's a pretty trivial fix. I just released new version which adds the WASD and IJKL keys for movement, so you can choose whichever set of keys works best on your keyboard.

At some point (after I complete a rewrite of the UI for the game) it will be possible for players to redefine the keys themselves. The infrastructure for that already exists in the game, but there isn't any interface for it at the moment.

Sign in to follow this