DirectX aug 2007 with MSVC++ 2010

Started by
10 comments, last by Hassanbasil 13 years, 11 months ago
Hello everyone, I was working fine with dx aug 2007 on VS 2008 express, but, as 2010 looks much more impressive, i downloaded it, but it looks like there are some problems using dx aug 2007 with it, im getting the following errors: 1>c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\objidl.h(11280): error C2061: syntax error : identifier '__RPC__out_xcount_part' 1>c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\objidl.h(11281): error C2059: syntax error : ')' 1>c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\objidl.h(11281): fatal error C1903: unable to recover from previous error(s); stopping compilation so i googled it, they said that its because vc is using some headers that comes with it, instead of the new vc headers (a mistake in the include path), so i uninstalled them both, then installed vc2010, and dx after it, and still getting the same errors, is it even possible to use dx aug 2007 with vc2010? if so, how is it done? Thanks. -Hassan.
Advertisement
You can set the order of the parsed include directorys in your project settings. Just put your DirectX SDK after everything. Maybe it works then. Or download newer version of it. the February 2010 just works fine :)
how can i change the arrangement of the include paths in vc2010? in property page it looks like: [href]http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/5742/57050814.jpg[/href]
Read This (The black arrows change priority).

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the SDK doesn't work with VS 2010 - it's 3 years old after all. Why not get the latest SDK instead?
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
Read This (The black arrows change priority).

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the SDK doesn't work with VS 2010 - it's 3 years old after all. Why not get the latest SDK instead?

well, i sometimes do some projects with another directx wrapper, that uses aug 2007 release, so i prefer to use the same release for both, the engine and my dx projects

also, @ your link, it shows the way to do it in vs2080, its slightly different in vs2010
Quote:Original post by Hassanbasil
well, i sometimes do some projects with another directx wrapper, that uses aug 2007 release, so i prefer to use the same release for both, the engine and my dx projects
All the same, I'd recommend trying the latest SDK if you get a chance; some things just don't work (Try using the Aug 2007 SDK with VC 6.0 for instance).

also, @ your link, it shows the way to do it in vs2080, its slightly different in vs2010
Are you looking in Tools menu -> Options, Projects and Solutions -> VC++ Directories? Or are you looking in the project settings? VC2008 should be very similar to VC2010.
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
Are you looking in Tools menu -> Options, Projects and Solutions -> VC++ Directories? Or are you looking in the project settings? VC2008 should be very similar to VC2010.

vs2010 tools -> options -> VC++ Directories:
"VC++ Directories editing in Tools > Options has been deprecated.

VC++ Directories are now available as a user property sheer that is added by default to
all projects. Please click '?' for more information."

and how this page look like, is in the image i linked above, i can't change the windows sdk paths because they are inherited, or something like that.

as far as i remember, i tried dx 2008 release, and it didnt work with that engine, i will try again with the feb 2010 anyway.

Well, if im going to change the sdk, i might also switch to dx10, or 11, but i shall ask: is dx11 stuff MUCH different than 9, that i should like re-write the whole dx9 project?
VC++ Directories are now available as a user property sheer that is added by default to
all projects. Please click '?' for more information.
Ah, interesting - I really need to get VS2010 installed...

Well, if im going to change the sdk, i might also switch to dx10, or 11, but i shall ask: is dx11 stuff MUCH different than 9, that i should like re-write the whole dx9 project?
Yes, DX10 and DX11 are quite different from DX9. You can still use DX9 with the latest SDK of course.
Quote:
You can set the order of the parsed include directorys in your project settings.

:)
Wait till The June 2010 DirectX SDK includes support for Visual Studio 2010. The DirectX SDK will continue to support Visual Studio 2008 as well. However, Visual Studio 2005 will no longer be supported.
I have VS2010 installed but haven't even tried using DX with it since it's not officially supported yet so I doubt an older SDK would work.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement