Sign in to follow this  
ou8her2

3D Picking - need help

ou8her2    100
Hi all, I have a list of 4 million unique points. Each point is rotated by a quaternion on all three axes, then scaled by some random distance. My issues is trying to identify the correct point when I mouse click on it. I'm not sure if a ray point intersection will do the trick since I'd have to test against all 4 million points (or at least the ones with the same x,y as the ray). Is there a better way to do picking other than ray intersection?

jyk    2094
Quote:
Original post by ou8her2
Hi all,

I have a list of 4 million unique points. Each point is rotated by a quaternion on all three axes, then scaled by some random distance. My issues is trying to identify the correct point when I mouse click on it.

I'm not sure if a ray point intersection will do the trick since I'd have to test against all 4 million points (or at least the ones with the same x,y as the ray).

Is there a better way to do picking other than ray intersection?
Rather than using a picking ray, I'd recommend using a picking volume (which is basically a frustum corresponding to a rectangular area in screen space). Point-ray intersection isn't very well-defined, and using a volume should make the process of picking a point onscreen a bit more user-friendly.

A picking volume may of course pick up more than one point at a time; in that case, you can select the point that is closest to the ray going through the center of the volume.

For that many points, you will most likely need to use a spatial hierarchy of some sort. Four million is a lot of points, and I won't presume to tell you what spatial partitioning scheme would be optimal for your particular case, but a fairly obvious choice might be to use an octree. (Note that whether and how often the points move is another factor that needs to be taken into consideration when choosing a partitioning scheme.)