Migrating to Visual studio 2010 (wtf error)

Started by
12 comments, last by Scarabus2 13 years, 12 months ago
I just installed Visual studio 2010 and is in the process of migrating my project, but I can't compile. In fact I can't compile anything at all. It seems to get the filenames all wrong: LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'ÿþ/.obj' I reinstalled Visual studio, picked default settings and created a vanilla Visual C++ project. I added a single file: test.cpp and tried to compile, but get the same error. This is the output. Any ideas? Google turned up nothing.
1>------ Build started: Project: test2, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Build started 2010-04-26 22:41:07.
1>ClCompile:
1>  Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 10.00.30319.01
1>  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
1>  
1>  /out:.exe 
1>  ÿþ/ 
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'ÿþ/.obj'
1>  Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 12.00.8168 for 80x86
1>  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-1998. All rights reserved.
1>  
1>  cl  ■/
1>  
1>CL : Command line warning D4024: unrecognized source file type ' ■/', object file assumed
1>
1>Build FAILED.
1>
1>Time Elapsed 00:00:00.62
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
visualnovelty.com - Novelty - Visual novel maker
Advertisement
Seems like a full uninstall/reinstall might be the best idea :S
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
I like how microsoft all-caps, "FAILED".
If I asked you for a hundred dollars would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?
What does the project file look like if you open it in a text editor? Is it gibberish too, or is there text there? And is it ANSI or Unicode?
Project file looks fine. I made a new project from scratch in 2010 and got the same error.
Is it possible that is some language related problem? What is your computer set to, for language and regional settings?
I've seen this occur with a 360/PC project when the PC compiler was accidentally called to compile a 360 project.

Other Google results for that exact error seem to indicate that it's a problem with having multiple versions of the linker.

Did you upgrade from a VS2010 beta or RC? If so, you should see if there's some kind of registry-cleaning tool you can find for it to TOTALLY remove it.
I installed it from disc. I have VS2005 and 2008 installed on the same machine. I uninstalled 2005, but the problem remained. Do I really have to uninstall 2008 as well? I'm reluctant to do that until I know for sure that 2010 can replace it.
Quote:Original post by Scarabus2
I installed it from disc. I have VS2005 and 2008 installed on the same machine. I uninstalled 2005, but the problem remained. Do I really have to uninstall 2008 as well? I'm reluctant to do that until I know for sure that 2010 can replace it.

You can have multiple versions of VS installed on same system and it's officially supported. I have VS2008 and VS2010 installed on my main PC right now without any problems. What does seem to cause problems though is if you ever installed beta or rc versions of VS and didn't uninstall them completely and try to install RTM version then that seems to cause problems.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Ah, I see. I did install the Beta before. I think that I uninstalled it, but now that I think about it I'm not so sure. I will investigate.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement