C++ Function pointer help

Started by
2 comments, last by denebo 13 years, 12 months ago
I'm trying to simulate (without the use of a GUI) a simple button that stores a function and executes it when pressed. The program compiles correctly, but then gives this error: Unhandled exception at 0xcccccccc in Testing.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation. Here's the code:

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

class Button
{
public:
	void (*function_) ();

Button(void (*function) ())
	{

}

void click()
	{
		function_();
	}
};

void printLine()
{
	cout << "Button clicked!\n";
}

int main()
{
	Button b1(printLine);
	b1.click();

return 0;
}
Advertisement
Quote:
	void (*function_) ();	Button(void (*function) ())	{	}

You never actually store the function pointer you pass to the constructor. Either add function_ = function; somewhere in the constructor or do like this:

...Button(void (*function)()) : function_(function){...

But anyway, you might want to consider making a button base class instead with an "onclick" (or similar) virtual function. C++ supports virtual functions so we don't have to fiddle too much with function pointers :)
Prefer boost::function over writing your own function storing/invocation code. It will seamlessly handle free functions versus member functions, while working across multiple compilers and platforms.
Quote:Original post by rneckelmann
Quote:
	void (*function_) ();	Button(void (*function) ())	{	}

You never actually store the function pointer you pass to the constructor. Either add function_ = function; somewhere in the constructor or do like this:

...Button(void (*function)()) : function_(function){...

But anyway, you might want to consider making a button base class instead with an "onclick" (or similar) virtual function. C++ supports virtual functions so we don't have to fiddle too much with function pointers :)

...oh, I didn't even notice I hadn't stored the function hahah.

Thanks for the replies!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement