[.net] NET 4.0 in VStudio 2008

Started by
2 comments, last by Rainweaver 13 years, 12 months ago
This is probably a stupid question, but if I download .NET 4.0, what features will I get in VStudio 2008? I'm mostly interested in TPL, but I'm wondering exactly how this all fits together. Does it automatically allow Visual Studio 2008 to support the new language features? Or do I just get the new assemblies? edit: I am getting somewhat frustrated trying to track down the "Parallel Extensions to .Net 3.5" package that I've seen mentioned around the net. This link doesn't seem to have a download for anything except VS2010 Express. I'm not really interested in VS2010 Express, and won't be upgrading to 2010 for quite a while (expensive software!) and I'm hoping my dream of using C# TPL in VS2008 is possible... Did they pull parallel extensions from availability when 2010 came out?
Advertisement
I don't think VS 08 can target .NET 4 in any way at all. Parallel may have been moved after it was rolled into .NET 4. I don't think downloads are generally pulled from MSDN, but it isn't uncommon for them to vanish into the ether of nearly impossible to find files.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Guess I'll just keep using ThreadPool :(.
RX Framework (Reactive Extensions) should contain a 3.5-compatible implementation of the TPL.

It's always the same old 3.5 threadpool, though...
Rainweaver Framework (working title)

IronLua (looking for a DLR expert)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement