Sign in to follow this  
neal8929

2D games, where to share?

neal8929    122
Lets say hypothetically a person worked on a 2D game such as a side scroller for quite some time, and they felt it was good enough to share with the rest of the world because up until now it has just been a private project. This game would be an executable written in C/C++ using DirectX9 to supply the graphics functions. It seems to me most 2D games are written in Flash (which costs a lot of money for the software). Flash games are targeted to a very broad audience and this is a good thing, because there is everything from PacMan to TowerDefense in Flash. But what about the rest of the people who make games in C++ that are not meant to be played from a web browser? Where is a good website or community where a person could upload a freeware game to see what people think of it?

MyH34DHurtz    122
You can share it here!

Got to Forums, down to "image of the day", and there you can link it, and allow people to try the game, and tell you what they think. Whats better feed back than the feedback of other Game developers?

Matty_alan    100
Ussually people have there own web pages or there dev's and advitise it in forums free games sites ect (you will find that most forums will have threads to post games in)and the word get around, however you could always just as easyily upload it to a file sharing\hosting web site as well like file factory

HolyGrail    115
I totally agree with Matty_Alan, you should share your game by promoting it on free games websites

Quote:
Original post by MyH34DHurtz
You can share it here!

Got to Forums, down to "image of the day", and there you can link it, and allow people to try the game, and tell you what they think. Whats better feed back than the feedback of other Game developers?

promoting your game *only* on game-dev websites is a very bad thing.
Except if you require special technical help or technical issues...
To improve your game it is very important to get the feeling/feed-back of the end-user and player ,not only from a game developers audience.
If any player plays with your game and give you a good feed-back so you can make some enhancements to your game creation and why not to sell it ;-)

Quote:
Original post by neal8929
But what about the rest of the people who make games in C++ that are not meant to be played from a web browser? Where is a good website or community where a person could upload a freeware game to see what people think of it?

send me a PM I know some websites...this is where Im' going to release my game..