Sign in to follow this  
Kweiko

Search spaces in games?

Hello everyone, I'm having a problem finding information about games and which search space they use. I want to know about games that use navmeshes/waypoints/grids in their pathfinding algorithms. Could anyone help me?

Pathfinding is a search space I guess, as you pointed out. The other big one is on the behavioral level, usually known as planning. See Jeff Orkin's work on F.E.A.R., or what the Guerrilla Games team did on Killzone 2. There's loads of information online about both of them, including articles on AiGameDev.com (right now there's an article about HTN planning on the front page).

Quote:
Original post by Kweiko
Hello everyone, I'm having a problem finding information about games and which search space they use. I want to know about games that use navmeshes/waypoints/grids in their pathfinding algorithms. Could anyone help me?

A search for A* in games will net you more material than you could ever read simply because most games that have locomotion of any sort use A*. The other use for search space algos is planners as Alex said.

Found Orkin's work, thanks. Although interesting, I think it will make things too complicated for me to understand right now, because I want information on plain pathfinding. (or maybe I'm missing something here?)

I've been googling a lot on A* in games, but haven't found much game specific information. But while searching for waypoint+pathfinding+games I found the youtube videos about waypoint based pathfiding and there where a couple of examples on games that uses WP in pathfinding so I guess I'll continue from there. Thanks for the help!