Sign in to follow this  

A good introduction to the Designing World.

This topic is 2785 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I am looking to become more active in designing. More specifically game design, does anyone have any tips/guides for maybe C++/Java. Maybe other languages or programs that may get me a tad more experienced when it comes to this huge world of logic. Thanks, Jake

I think you may be conflating game design and programming.

Design is more about coming up with the concepts for gameplay mechanics and/or story, and implementing those using existing tools or custom tools built for you by a programmer.

Programming is more about writing code to actually accomplish a goal.

If you want to learn programming, I would recommend you start with a language like Python. It is an excellent, powerful, well-structured language that's very suitable for neophytes and scales quite well. All the tools you need to get started and all the relevant documentation and guides can be found on the Python website.

If you're interested in game design, you probably want to check out one of the various tools that allow you to build games without much real programming experience -- Unity, Game Maker, or the mod tools for your favorite commercial title, for example. You may also want to peruse our game design forum.

Quote:
Original post by jpetrie
I think you may be conflating game design and programming.

Design is more about coming up with the concepts for gameplay mechanics and/or story, and implementing those using existing tools or custom tools built for you by a programmer.

Programming is more about writing code to actually accomplish a goal.

If you want to learn programming, I would recommend you start with a language like Python. It is an excellent, powerful, well-structured language that's very suitable for neophytes and scales quite well. All the tools you need to get started and all the relevant documentation and guides can be found on the Python website.

If you're interested in game design, you probably want to check out one of the various tools that allow you to build games without much real programming experience -- Unity, Game Maker, or the mod tools for your favorite commercial title, for example. You may also want to peruse our game design forum.

Well, what I want to be able to do is... Design a certain texture/scenario and then program it into a game. Thanks, I'll check these out.

Quote:
Well, what I want to be able to do is... Design a certain texture/scenario and then program it into a game.

Do you mean like making a mod for a pre-exsisting game, or making your own game from scratch? either way both things need programming skills
You might have to eleaborate a little more

Quote:
Original post by Matty_alan
Quote:
Well, what I want to be able to do is... Design a certain texture/scenario and then program it into a game.

Do you mean like making a mod for a pre-exsisting game, or making your own game from scratch? either way both things need programming skills
You might have to eleaborate a little more

Making a game from scratch

This topic is 2785 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.