A good introduction to the Designing World.

Started by
5 comments, last by Andrew Kabakwu 13 years, 12 months ago
Hey, I am looking to become more active in designing. More specifically game design, does anyone have any tips/guides for maybe C++/Java. Maybe other languages or programs that may get me a tad more experienced when it comes to this huge world of logic. Thanks, Jake
Advertisement
I think you may be conflating game design and programming.

Design is more about coming up with the concepts for gameplay mechanics and/or story, and implementing those using existing tools or custom tools built for you by a programmer.

Programming is more about writing code to actually accomplish a goal.

If you want to learn programming, I would recommend you start with a language like Python. It is an excellent, powerful, well-structured language that's very suitable for neophytes and scales quite well. All the tools you need to get started and all the relevant documentation and guides can be found on the Python website.

If you're interested in game design, you probably want to check out one of the various tools that allow you to build games without much real programming experience -- Unity, Game Maker, or the mod tools for your favorite commercial title, for example. You may also want to peruse our game design forum.
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
I think you may be conflating game design and programming.

Design is more about coming up with the concepts for gameplay mechanics and/or story, and implementing those using existing tools or custom tools built for you by a programmer.

Programming is more about writing code to actually accomplish a goal.

If you want to learn programming, I would recommend you start with a language like Python. It is an excellent, powerful, well-structured language that's very suitable for neophytes and scales quite well. All the tools you need to get started and all the relevant documentation and guides can be found on the Python website.

If you're interested in game design, you probably want to check out one of the various tools that allow you to build games without much real programming experience -- Unity, Game Maker, or the mod tools for your favorite commercial title, for example. You may also want to peruse our game design forum.

Well, what I want to be able to do is... Design a certain texture/scenario and then program it into a game. Thanks, I'll check these out.

Quote:Well, what I want to be able to do is... Design a certain texture/scenario and then program it into a game.

Do you mean like making a mod for a pre-exsisting game, or making your own game from scratch? either way both things need programming skills
You might have to eleaborate a little more
Quote:Original post by Matty_alan
Quote:Well, what I want to be able to do is... Design a certain texture/scenario and then program it into a game.

Do you mean like making a mod for a pre-exsisting game, or making your own game from scratch? either way both things need programming skills

Making a game from scratch
Quote:Original post by Fredalbob
Quote:Original post by Matty_alan

Making a game from scratch

Nice elaborating!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If you mean world/map design then check http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/.

If you mean Game design, then you need to explain in clear terms what you are trying to achieve.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement