[SlimDX] Directx11 Help and Guide

Started by
1 comment, last by dragonslaya 13 years, 12 months ago
Alright currently me and my newphew are working on a game project. We opted to use slimdx cause we wanted to use the latest technology, I know slimdx isnt complete yet at least not for dx11 but we can work on that. Currently we got the winform to render with a clearbuffer. We are trying to develop a class that will control loading and drawing of sprites or in dx11 cases images to screen. me and my newphew have used dx9 and xna so were use to just making a call to the sprite class. however with new dx11 and the direct2d were not sure how or what route to take we want to either use just dx11 to render 2d images to screen or maybe use direct2d if its better or easier to use. We would like some kinda of sample code or maybe just a tutorial or someone to point us in the right direction. Ive looked through all of the forums and seen some people resolve there way but only ever posted small code of how they got theres to work so Im unsure how to do it. Would be greatly appriecated if someone could take the time to help us or show us how its done now with the new dx2d or dx11 calls since we would like to use that. But we also considered using dx9 just for 2d images not sure if thats good route or not to take either.
Advertisement
Which you use will really depend on the features your application needs. Direct2D and Direct3D have a different API approach, with Direct3D being a bit lower level than Direct2D. Direct2D was designed to target UI design and has a lot of focus on text and image support. Under the hood, Direct2D uses a Direct3D device to do all of the hardware side drawing.

Either one could be used to drive a sprite engine so it depends on if you want 3D features to be easily available or text.

Using Direct3D will seem more familiar than Direct2D, but it wouldn't take long to ramp up on Direct2D. The windows 7 SDK comes with several dozen Direct2D samples that you could look through to see how they do things.
Well we are mainly using 2d images for ui design. So we should probally use direct2D? instead of the directx11 functions to be honest. We dont care which we use jsut need a lending hand to move forward we typically dont know where to even start to design or call functions to render 2d images to screen in dx9 it was much simplier , at least we think so or its jsut cause dx11 is too new and not much is out on how to run it good.

If you could help us out by providing some slimdx functions calls or at least where to look to make 2d render from slimdx using C# would be appricated. we are coding in C# so typically the c++ seem compleely different to me when tryin to use them as a reference for slimdx C# coding.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement