Sign in to follow this  
MarkS

Looking for a good resource editor.

Recommended Posts

MarkS    180
I'm using Visual Studio Express for my IDE. Unfortunately, it lacks a resource editor. I tried XN Resource Editor, but the program is too old, out of date and cumbersome. I was trying to make a simple dialog box with it and got so frustrated that I was about to say screw it and create it completely in code. I downloaded ResHacker, and while it is better, it is still very rough and hard to use. It seems that the utilities that I'm finding via Google are all very much out of date and none of them have been updated for several years. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms. Are there any good, current and preferably free resource editors floating around somewhere out there on the net?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jwezorek    2663
ResEdit isn't bad, I guess, but it looks orphaned -- and the author's website for it is advertising online casinos etc. which doesn't give one a lot of faith in what you're downloading. Generally I agree with the implication of maspeir's post: for an application that is as trivial to do right as a win32 resource editor, you would think that there would be one open source solution that is clearly the best. I guess such a thing doesn't exist because not many people are still writing native win32 applications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarkS    180
Quote:
Original post by jwezorekI guess such a thing doesn't exist because not many people are still writing native win32 applications.


OK, this piqued my curiosity... As opposed to what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jwezorek    2663
Quote:
Original post by maspeir
Quote:
Original post by jwezorekI guess such a thing doesn't exist because not many people are still writing native win32 applications.


OK, this piqued my curiosity... As opposed to what?


I mean, you know, everything else. :)

I still write regular win32 apps in C++ like always but I get the feeling that I'm the weird one. I was just talking to another developer that I'm pretty good friends with but don't currently work with, mentioned the consulting contract I'm currently working on, mentioned something about "header files", and he was like, "Header files? Jesus, you're still writing in C++?" So, you know, you see this attitude a lot -- this forum is actually odd in that there is a lot of discussion of Win32 programming -- but my point was that writing a first-rate resource editor with bells and whistles and lots of chrome that plugs into VC++ Express edition isn't exactly a top priority for most people out there in 2010.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MarkS    180
At some point, I have to begin to wonder if that is actually progress or just some form of elitism. C/C++ does 99% of anything that can be done on any computer. The other 1% is covered by assembly. Some will argue that newer languages and programing techniques are better, but I'd argue they are just different.

Still, if I'm developing an app for Windows, what is there other than Win32?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jwezorek    2663
Quote:
Original post by maspeir
At some point, I have to begin to wonder if that is actually progress or just some form of elitism. C/C++ does 99% of anything that can be done on any computer. The other 1% is covered by assembly. Some will argue that newer languages and programing techniques are better, but I'd argue they are just different.

Still, if I'm developing an app for Windows, what is there other than Win32?


Well, my friend would say that I should be writing this application in C# to the .Net framework. There are lots of reasons why I didn't do that in this case; mainly because I would have had to have re-written a bunch of legacy code that this project relies on, but in the general case I'm not sure there is a good reason not to anymore.

[Edited by - jwezorek on April 27, 2010 7:38:25 PM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iMalc    2466
There certainly are reason not to use .NET, including performance reasons, the fact that .NET code is so easily disassembled, portability, and compatibility with existing code.

Native Win32 development is very much alive and kicking, and that is not going to change any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aardvajk    13207
Quote:
Original post by jwezorek
ResEdit isn't bad, I guess, but it looks orphaned -- and the author's website for it is advertising online casinos etc. which doesn't give one a lot of faith in what you're downloading.


I've been using ResEdit for a few years now and not had any problems. The site is a little odd but I'd personally not worry about it.

The program isn't perfect but it certainly does the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jwezorek    2663
Quote:
Original post by iMalc
There certainly are reason not to use .NET, including performance reasons, the fact that .NET code is so easily disassembled, portability, and compatibility with existing code.

Yeah, a big thing is that non-.NET windows apps will run on any Windows system, more or less. That and performance still matters in some domains e.g. image processing, etc.

Quote:
Original post by Aardvajk
I've been using ResEdit for a few years now and not had any problems. The site is a little odd but I'd personally not worry about it.

The program isn't perfect but it certainly does the job.


It would be nice if it plugged directly into VC++ Express (if that is possible, which I'm not sure about), and had more advanced tools for laying out dialogs.
EDIT: apparently it's not possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matias Goldberg    9573
Shall I add, you can always hand edit your *.rc files and then link them with VC++ Express.

Express Edition doesn't support editing *.rc files with the IDE, but it can load them in text-only mode (with syntax highlighting) and integrate it to your project.

You can still make .Net widgets though, or just use wxWidgets (along with wxFormBuilder) or Qt.

Quote:

It would be nice if it plugged directly into VC++ Express (if that is possible, which I'm not sure about)

Express Edition doesn't support plugins.

Cheers
Dark Sylinc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aardvajk    13207
Quote:
Original post by jwezorek
It would be nice if it plugged directly into VC++ Express (if that is possible, which I'm not sure about), and had more advanced tools for laying out dialogs.
EDIT: apparently it's not possible.


Create a blank .rc file in the Resources section of solution explorer, then right-click and do Open With. Click Add and navigate to ResEdit.exe and select it, give it a name, then hit Set As Default.

You can now just double-click the .rc and ResEdit will launch. After the first launch, right click and add the header file it generates to your project.

It's pretty much as integrated as any plug-in would be I imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this