Java for uni?

Started by
2 comments, last by Hoody 13 years, 12 months ago
Hi guys I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to start learning Java now, to help me for when I get to uni? But what sort of things can you do with Java that you are unable to do with languages like C# and C++? Also could you please recommend me some simple sites for Java tutorials? Btw what graphics API can I use with Java? Can I still use XNA or directx 10? Thanks for the input!

Game Development Tutorials - My new site that tries to teach LWJGL 3.0 and OpenGL to anyone willing to learn a little.

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by emforce
Hi guys I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to start learning Java now, to help me for when I get to uni?

But what sort of things can you do with Java that you are unable to do with languages like C# and C++?

Also could you please recommend me some simple sites for Java tutorials?

Btw what graphics API can I use with Java? Can I still use XNA or directx 10?

Thanks for the input!
Do you know that the uni course you're going for actually uses Java? If not, then there's not much point in learning Java (Aside from the experience, obviously).

The course I did (Computer Science at Heriot-Watt in Edinburgh) taught Java, initially it was simple text-based stuff to teach you more about the theory than the language, but moved on to Swing for GUI stuff.
Most of the stuff was very simple to learn, particularly since I already knew C++ when I started the course.

The point isn't what you can or can't do with Java, it's that it's quite easy to follow for a beginner - with C++, pointers are a nightmare for complete beginners, and a lot of the syntax can be confusing. I wouldn't be too surprised if courses start teaching / are teaching C# rather than Java though, since it's equally easy to understand (Speaking as someone who knows very little about either language :P)

As far as I know, there's no Java libraries for XNA or DirectX, but you can do OpenGL stuff (Although I haven't personally).
If your school forces you to learn C or C++ first Java will be a breeze.
I recommend "Head First Java" as best book to learn Java.
You could also watch the Stanford or Berkeley video's on Java that are both excellent.
Google Java Killer Game programming for tons of info on how to make games with Java.
So no you don't really need to start early unless you plan on making an entire Java Game for your final project in your class and amaze everyone since everyone else will probably stick with a simple Swing/GUI app.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
May be a good idea to check if you will be learning/using Java as a part of your course at uni? I'm currently doing the first year of a games development course and we are being taught C# in our first year then C++ in the second and third years.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement