Sign in to follow this  
Po

Getting started DX9 in VB.NET?

So now that I know in another thread that the "DirectX 8 For Visual Basic Library" that came with Visual Basic Express wont work without requiring another program built within C++ what exactly do I require to get started with DX9 within VB.NET? I was suggested to use SlimDX and from reading on thier site it seems like the latest SlimDX SDK is all I need? Also reading on SlimDX's documentation it seems that anybody (including me in order to use and test?) that wants to use anything I code using this library will have to also download the latest SlimDX End User Runtime (and possibly more? Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Runtime? Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0?)? Is there another way I can get started doing DX9 with VB.NET without users requiring to download extra things other than just my application and DirectX 9 or later or is this just an neccesary evil with DX9 and VB.NET? Sorry be patient with me rather new to doing this whole DirectX stuff only ever just coded with what came with my Visual Basic Express. [rolleyes] Basically wanna know what I've got to do then to get started. Appreciate any replies. [smile]

Have you considered trying xna in vb.net? its based off DX9 and works pretty good with xna. sorry if this didnt answer you question, ive never used DirectX in vb.net

I've heard about it although I don't really know much about it. Am an complete beginner when it comes to graphics (other than the GDI+ you know System.Drawing and all that) in VB.NET really.