Lua and Dev-C++

Started by
24 comments, last by jbadams 13 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by ExcessNeo
Quote:Original post by overeasy
Quote:Original post by Promit
Eclipse also has C++ support. Not sure how the CDT is nowadays, but it can't possibly be a worse choice than Dev-C++. Though frankly it's a pretty blockheaded idea to use anything other than VS on Windows unless you really can't.

except for refactoring, i don't need the additional functionality. maybe eventually, but i am happy as is. i have lua confirmed working and can proceed with my coding. i'd use visual c++ if i was creating a windows app - instead i'm using a game engine library.

Except when you do need the extra functionality you wont know where to start with Visual Studio because you will have never used it before.

Also I have news for you, if your planning on releasing your game on Windows you are creating a windows app.

I don't need to argue over this.
Advertisement
You should use squirrel and Sqrat. The sqrat bindings are ridiculous and suirrel is really nice too.

http://scrat.sourceforge.net/

http://scrat.sourceforge.net/binding.html<a/>
Just to chime in about the IDE thing, I'm not going to say that any IDE is inherently better than any other IDE, but I will say that Dev-C++ was sort of weird to get APIs and libraries and things working in unless you used the Dev-Pak system, and those were... down or out of date half the time.

Anyway, in terms of bindings, I couldn't figure out whatever libraries I was trying to use because they weren't precompiled. I'm not even sure what bindings are anymore, although if I remember correctly it involved calling lua functions from C++?

This is probably wrong or inefficient or something but for calling lua functions from within C++ I just do:

error = luaL_loadfile(LuaVM, "input_values.lua") ||            lua_pcall (LuaVM, 0, 0, 0);        if(error) {            fprintf (stderr, "%s: %s\n", "input_values.lua", lua_tostring (LuaVM, -1));            lua_pop (LuaVM, 1);        }...                        snprintf(buffer, LUA_BUFFER_LENGTH, "period(%i)", myInst);                        error = luaL_loadbuffer(LuaVM, buffer, strlen(buffer), "period") ||                            lua_pcall(LuaVM, 0, 0, 0);                        if(error) {                            fprintf (stderr, "%s", lua_tostring (LuaVM, -1));                            lua_pop (LuaVM, 1);                        }

Again, not sure if that's actually right or not, but it's worked for me so far.
Quote:Original post by MeshGearFox
I'm not going to say that any IDE is inherently better than any other IDE
An IDE last updated in 2005 with 340 known bugs that will never be fixed is worse than most other IDEs. In this case it's not just a matter of preference: Dev-C++ is objectively bad when compared to other available options such as Code::Blocks, Visual Studio Express Editions or wxDev-C++.

However, the point has already been made, so I'm going to ask that unless overeasy asks a question directly pertaining to his choice of IDE everyone let the matter drop and stick to answering the questions at hand in this thread.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by jbadams
Quote:Original post by MeshGearFox
I'm not going to say that any IDE is inherently better than any other IDE
An IDE last updated in 2005 with 340 known bugs that will never be fixed is worse than most other IDEs. In this case it's not just a matter of preference: Dev-C++ is objectively bad when compared to other available options such as Code::Blocks, Visual Studio Express Editions or wxDev-C++.

However, the point has already been made, so I'm going to ask that unless overeasy asks a question directly pertaining to his choice of IDE everyone let the matter drop and stick to answering the questions at hand in this thread.

common misconception: i actually fixed all those bugs and recompiled it for personal use. also, i do frequently use traditional microsoft ides such as notepad and wordpad.

as for lua, i have it completely working and am making great pace in integrating it to my game environment (thanks to post #2). no further questions (i'll start a more specific thread in the future if need be).

Quote:Original post by overeasy
common misconception: i actually fixed all those bugs and recompiled it for personal use.
No, you didn't: some of those reported bugs were actually in the compiler, and given that you said in your first post you didn't know what the compiler was (it's a very dated version of the mingw port of gcc for reference) you couldn't possibly have correctly updated it to a modern version (let alone fixing the bugs yourself) to fix that portion of the 340 reported bugs.

Quote:also, i do frequently use traditional microsoft ides such as notepad and wordpad.
Neither of those is an IDE.

Quote:as for lua, i have it completely working and am making great pace in integrating it to my game environment (thanks to post #2). no further questions (i'll start a more specific thread in the future if need be).
Great! Good luck with your project. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement