Sign in to follow this  
Endemoniada

Exiting Console App ?

Endemoniada    430
Hi guys, I wrote a home-baked server as a Win32 console app that's pretty much like this: int main() { initServer(); while(TRUE){ runServer(); } cleanupServer(); return 0; } It works great but I can never get to the cleanupServer() code. I can make a flag in the while statement but how would I set it ? The only thing I can come up with is having runServer() return a BOOL to perhaps break the loop but then I'd have to send the server a "secret code" to shut it down. Ideally I'd like to use something like scanf() but that blocks. What should I do ? Thanks.

david_watt78    133
have runServer return true or false would be the best way.otherwise set an exit function using _onexit() that does your cleanup and call exit() to stop the program.

Drew_Benton    1861
The simplest way would be to change the loop to poll against keyboard input (_kbhit). If you are on a platform that does not have this function (I know you have a Win32 currently, but if you ever need to port your code), check out an alternative approach.

while(!_kbhit) { runServer(); }

Also, on Windows, you can use the SetConsoleCtrlHandler function to register an event handler that will process the console closing and then break the loop based on a flag you set.

#include <windows.h>
bool bExit = false;

BOOL WINAPI CtrlHandler( DWORD fdwCtrlType )
{
bExit = true;
return TRUE;
}

int main(int argc, char * argv[])
{
SetConsoleCtrlHandler((PHANDLER_ROUTINE)CtrlHandler, TRUE);
while(!bExit)
{
runServer();
}
SetConsoleCtrlHandler((PHANDLER_ROUTINE)CtrlHandler, FALSE);
return 0;
}

If you want to go the approach of being able to remotely close the server by sending it some control message, then you'd simply make runServer return a flag to indicate if it should still be running or not. Then, you just break on the condition when it's done.

while(TRUE) { if(runServer() == FALSE) break; }