Sign in to follow this  
Liam M

Visual Studio 2008: "The application failed to start..."

Liam M    223
Hey guys, I'm building an application in Visual Studio Team System 2008 (Version 9, Service pack 1) and Qt and when running my application on the target platform (Windows XP), I receive an error: "The application failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." and then the application fails to start. I tried running the program on a machine (Windows XP) without the Qt SDK installed, and it ran fine. I'm convinced the problem is with Visual Studio somehow, but can't figure it out. I've run the app with dependency walker, and while I do get some delayed load warnings, I'm not so sure they're important. The build log is as such:
Build Log

Build started: Project: MISHC OMAT Editor, Configuration: Release|Win32

Command Lines

Creating temporary file "c:\Users\Liam\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\MISHC OMAT Editor\MISHC OMAT Editor\Release\RSP0002C855927692.rsp" with contents
[
/verbose /outputresource:"..\Release\MISHC OMAT Editor.exe;#1" /manifest

".\Release\MISHC OMAT Editor.exe.intermediate.manifest"
]
Creating command line "mt.exe @"c:\Users\Liam\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\MISHC OMAT Editor\MISHC OMAT Editor\Release\RSP0002C855927692.rsp" /nologo"
Creating temporary file "c:\Users\Liam\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\MISHC OMAT Editor\MISHC OMAT Editor\Release\BAT0002C955927692.bat" with contents
[
@echo Manifest resource last updated at %TIME% on %DATE% > ".\Release\mt.dep"
]
Creating command line """c:\Users\Liam\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\MISHC OMAT Editor\MISHC OMAT Editor\Release\BAT0002C955927692.bat"""
Output Window

Embedding manifest...
Results

Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\Liam\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\MISHC OMAT EditorMISHC OMAT Editor\Release\BuildLog.htm"
MISHC OMAT Editor - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

And the manifest file:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes'?>
<assembly xmlns='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1' manifestVersion='1.0'>
  <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
    <security>
      <requestedPrivileges>
        <requestedExecutionLevel level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false' />
      </requestedPrivileges>
    </security>
  </trustInfo>
  <dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
      <assemblyIdentity type='win32' name='Microsoft.VC90.CRT' version='9.0.21022.8' processorArchitecture='x86' publicKeyToken='1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b' />
    </dependentAssembly>
  </dependency>
</assembly>

The application is being run from a USB stick, on the problem machine with the following files in the same directory: QtCore4.dll QtGui4.dll msvcm90.dll msvcr90.dll msvcp90.dll Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest I pretty much got to the stage where I was dumping dll's in there to try and solve the problem, so if you can help me solve this one quickly, I'd really, really appreciate it. Update: I just tried running the application on my colleagues tablet, running windows 7, and it ran fine. Any suggestions?l

RobTheBloke    2553
Install the VC9 SP1 redist.....

32bit:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2&displaylang=en

64bit:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BA9257CA-337F-4B40-8C14-157CFDFFEE4E&displaylang=en

Liam M    223
Yep, that was it! Pretty dumb mistake, I think I just kind of, blocked that out as a potential issue in my head, because it's never been one before.

This is what happens when you develop in house stuff for tech staff workstations for far, far too long.