The first path, to take the first step

Started by
7 comments, last by Zapman 13 years, 11 months ago
Hello there. Im willing to start tryng to get starter at developing games. Im studing computer engineering at university and im very intrested about gaming development. I was searching for some game development tools and as far as ive talked to other ppl they indicated me Allegro , SDL or OpenGL. What im intrested on doing is a simple 2D isometric game. Ive installed Allegro and OpenGL here, i could mess around with allegro kinda well so far, but couldnt make an array into a tile map tho. With OpenGL by the other hand i couldnt understand much, so couldnt really do much. I wish to know witch is the best path i could take on a simple engine that i could learn in short time, and if you guys could indicate me a good tutorial on how to start it out. Thanx alot =]
Advertisement
I would start here.
Anthony Umfer
Thanx for the post, but i was wiling to try to create a simple tile map and a movement for the character. I dont belive it would be a hard thing, just wanna make it by myself to learn from the begining. Ill try using the XNA and tryng to mod this game, but still my first option was to try to create a simple tile map and movement for the character. The movement ive already done in Allegro, but only that.

ty. []´s
i have no contact with c# or visual studio, also is a payd program , no?
it would be much easyer if a starter kit could be written in c++, witch is the language i have more knowledge about.
Quote:Original post by MadHippie
i have no contact with c# or visual studio, also is a payd program , no?
it would be much easyer if a starter kit could be written in c++, witch is the language i have more knowledge about.
There are free versions of most of the parts of Visual Studio. In the case of C#, Visual C# Express allows you to develop and release C# programs for free. It supports developing in XNA and, for a small fee, you would be able to develop for the Xbox 360 as well.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

I would definitely recommend C# if you can devote a bit of time to learning the differences between it and C++, because it will stop you from shooting yourself in the foot with memory management (or at least, somewhat prevent you from doing so).

If you want to stick with C++ and Allegro, search google for Allegro tutorials (good tutorials tend to be hard to find though) or look for an open source game made by someone else in Allegro and try to discover how they did it.
As a beginner who spent months on C++ and OpenGL who then switched to C# XNA, I really recommend the switch. The first few months was spent mostly with headaches trying to work out how to correctly render something to the screen, leaving me with little time to actually develop games. This made me frustrated and stopped me having fun.

After switching to XNA I have been developing with it for a month and have made 3 small games, now developing a larger shmup. Everything is much easier as I don't have to worry about the low level stuff (which is good for newbies). Don't get me wrong, I intend to learn DirectX/OpenGL and C++ down the track but for now I want to concentrate on making fun games and have my knowledge grow from there rather then learning things that are way beyond my skill level.
well as u all sayd, ill try C# with XNA. Thanx.

EDIT: problem im having is putting XNA on with C#. Im a 90% newbie on C#, only know the basic classes logic. Where should i start ?

ty for da help.

[]´s
Have you got XNA Game Studio?
It should provide you with example projects to help you get started.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement