Sign in to follow this  
homojedi

HUD problems

homojedi    121
Greetings, Im attempting to draw a hud, and for a while i though i had it working from switching from orthographic back to projection...until i tried it with an alpha image..it seems it doesn't draw the alpha but all the 3d objects behind it arent being drawn, its like the alpha layer is a layer itself obstructing the scene. Im using DevIL but i must admit only having rudimentary knowledge of it here is the convert paramters i am using "ilConvertImage(IL_RGBA, IL_UNSIGNED_BYTE)" and just in case its my switch from orthographic to projection here
glMatrixMode( GL_PROJECTION );//
	glPushMatrix();
	glLoadIdentity();//
	glDisable( GL_LIGHTING ); 
	gluOrtho2D( 0.0, 1024, 768, 0.0 ); 

glMatrixMode( GL_MODELVIEW );//
	glLoadIdentity();//

glColor3f( 1,1,1 );
	glBegin(GL_QUADS);
	glTexCoord2i(0, 0); glVertex2i(0,   0);
	glTexCoord2i(0, 1); glVertex2i(0,   768);
	glTexCoord2i(1, 1); glVertex2i(1024, 768);
	glTexCoord2i(1, 0); glVertex2i(1024, 0);
	glEnd( );

//Switch back to our projection mode
	glMatrixMode( GL_PROJECTION );
	glEnable( GL_LIGHTING );
	//Finish our calls above
	glPopMatrix( );
	//Switch back to our model matrix to continue with out 3D scene
	glMatrixMode( GL_MODELVIEW );

does anyone have any idea whats going on? cheers

MENTAL    383
Daft question: are you actually creating your HUD graphics with a transparency (alpha) channel? It looks like you're using ilConvertImage to add an alpha channel, but then that will just be filled with 100% maximum opacity.

And have you setup the blend mode properly?

homojedi    121
Quote:

Daft question: are you actually creating your HUD graphics with a transparency (alpha) channel? It looks like you're using ilConvertImage to add an alpha channel, but then that will just be filled with 100% maximum opacity.

And have you setup the blend mode properly?

Daft response: erm...probably not...how would i set up blend properly?
here is my image set up code

ilGenImages(1, &ImageName); /* Generation of one image name */
ilBindImage(ImageName); /* Binding of image name */
ILboolean success = ilLoadImage( "flock.jpg" ); /* Loading of image "image.jpg" */

if (success) /* If no error occured: */
{
success = ilConvertImage(IL_RGB, IL_UNSIGNED_BYTE); /* Convert every colour component into
unsigned byte. If your image contains alpha channel you can replace IL_RGB with IL_RGBA */

if (!success)
{
/* Error occured */
exit( 1 );
}

}

glGenTextures( 1, &image ); /* Texture name generation */
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, image); /* Binding of texture name */
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR); /* We will use linear
interpolation for magnification filter */

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR); /* We will use linear
interpolation for minifying filter */

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, ilGetInteger(IL_IMAGE_BPP), ilGetInteger(IL_IMAGE_WIDTH),ilGetInteger(IL_IMAGE_HEIGHT), 0, ilGetInteger(IL_IMAGE_FORMAT), GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, ilGetData()); /* Texture specification */

ilDeleteImages( 1, &ImageName );

MENTAL    383
Okay, first of all, drop the converting to RGBA. You only need to start messing around like that if you're going to be controlling transparency on a per-pixel basis (and if you are, you set those values in an image editor and save to a format that has it's own alpha channel, such as PNG or TGA).

Load your texture as a normal image. When it comes to drawing HUD elements, specify the transparency using glColor4f (1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, alpha), where alpha is of course between 0 (invisible) and 1 (solid).

Preceed the start of the HUD drawing with:

glEnable (GL_BLEND);
glBlendFunc (GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);

DRAW HUD HERE

glDisable (GL_BLEND);

Regarding the glColor4f, you can use this to control transparency on a per-element basis. If you have some elements that should be see-through and some that shouldn't, then just make another call to glColor4f before drawing it.

The usual rules about disabling depth testing and depth writes still apply :)