Why do you like programming

Started by
35 comments, last by phresnel 13 years, 11 months ago
I like it, because you can create stuff.

If you're smart enough, you can create really cool stuff. It takes a lot of skill, determination and hard work. But I feel there's a lot of untapped potential out there.
Advertisement
i enjoy it because its almost like art. you are able to completely craft your own world with your rules. and let your soul pour out into a more tangible form that you can share with others. personally i think the main thing that separates us form animals is are need to create and for me boy does programming satisfy.
There's also a possibility of perfection that you don't get in other domains, because the medium is almost infinitely tractable. I don't know about anyone else but every time I start a new project I think, "Okay, this time I'm going to get everything right." Of course, you never do, but that's the game...
I work as software developer and code a lot in my free time. I sort of need the satisfaction my game projects give me, where I can add new features and fix the bugs I introduced without big trouble, whereas at work I mainly do bugfixing of old bugs that have been in for years and added by people who already left the company, i.e. search for two or three days, change two or three lines of code and it's fine. Just doesn't give me enough satisfaction, and sometimes decreases my self-confidence (which I increase with my home projects ;) ).
I like the question. Well, as most people already wrote, once you master programming, you can do about anything. From earning your money by implementing a database to making home applications like a climate control. Game programming allows to put your creativity in it as well, without boundaries. Want to make a floating skyscraper? Go ahead.

The pure programming itself isn't that interesting for me personally. I don't mind it, but what really counts are the results. You can hang out for the TV all day, or expand your knowledge by learning something and try it out. Programming is a relative easy way to accomplish such things, as it only requires a computer and your brains. No garages, expensive materials, or huge crews needed. No matter if you design your first form, solve a difficult algorithm or create a complete game, it always satisfies.

For my work I'm programming control and interface systems for big agricultural machines. That means lot's of sensors, pumps, valves, input screens, telemetrics, data logging and so on. The beauty of this is that you actually touch and drive the end result. I'm quite proud when I see 3 of those 30 ton monsters digging the earth when I drive by with my girl and daughter.
">youtube clicky

The best part is maybe the design phase if you ask me. Making the ideas, drawing screens, setting up the code architecture, prototyping new hardware. As a creative person you can go wild here.

Rick
Unlike physical construction, like with mechanical engineering or robotics, computer graphics have virtually no constraints. I like this a great deal. :)
I do it for the chicks. [cool]
From a hobbyist's perspective, I think I like programming because of the environment to be honest. I love to be on the computer because it really connects you with everything. You can listen to music, watch videos, look up something online, read a book, talk with friends, ALL WHILE PROGRAMMING! I also like the fact that software is used by almost everyone and maybe one day I can write something that's of use to other people.

Already mentioned but striving for that perfect design is a lot of fun too.
I like programming because it helps me to find some years ago a new job.
My background is that i dont have even a real school examen.
My english and math skills did grow when i was learning programming and that helps me today so much.
3 years ago i did make my school exam on 3rd way here in germany and every thing works ok so far.
So without programming i dont know which kind of life i would have today.

For me, programming is more a means to an end. I'm a game developer first and foremost. Although I do enjoy writing good, clean and well structured code, seeing my visions and ideas come to life is more important to me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement