[CgFX] cgSetStateCallbacks() messes up my textures

Started by
5 comments, last by wiegje85 13 years, 11 months ago
Greetings everyone! First of all, I have already posted this on the nvidia forums, but people seem to not want to answer / cannot answer etc. So I want to try my luck here.. :) --- I am creating a state manager for CgFX. I am caching (registering) the states in an std::map like so:
	// cache states
	CGstate state = cgGetFirstState(mContext);
	while(state)
	{
		// get state name
		String stateName = cgGetStateName(state);

// create effect state -- this is a custom struct that wraps some data
		EffectState* effectState = new EffectState();
		effectState->CRC = 0;
		effectState->Name = stateName;
		effectState->Type = cgGetStateType(state);

// save state
		mStates[state] = effectState;

// setup callback functions -- CALLING THIS FUNCTION MESSES UP MY TEXTURES!
		cgSetStateCallbacks(state, Effect::stateSet, Effect::stateReset, Effect::stateValidate);

// next!
		state = cgGetNextState(state);
	}
Note how I call cgSetStateCallbacks(). If I don't do that, everything works fine. If I do that, however, my textures don't get set anymore. This doesn't work anymore:
		cgD3D9SetTextureParameter(aParameter, d3d9Texture);
		cgSetSamplerState(aParameter);
And this is the texture/sampler variable in the shader:
uniform sampler2D gDiffuseMap : DIFFUSEMAP = sampler_state
{
	WrapS 		= Repeat;
	WrapT 		= Repeat;
};
So in conclusion: I call cgSetStateCallbacks() turns my objects black. Why is this?
Advertisement
shameless bamp :( cgfx make programmer cry
Doesn't anyone here know how to properly use cgSetStateCallbacks() ?
can you show us the source of your callback function that sets the texture?
Of course. What I do is I check the value from the state assignment with the cached value. If they don't match, I set the state assignment value to the cache and then return true, if they match, I return false.

CGbool Effect::stateSet( CGstateassignment aState ){	EffectState* effectState = mStates[cgGetStateAssignmentState(aState)];	ASSERTFATAL(!effectState, "Trying to set an unregistered state");	switch(effectState->Type)	{	case CG_PROGRAM_TYPE:		{			CGprogram program = cgGetProgramStateAssignmentValue(aState);			CRChash crc = (CRChash)program;			if(crc != effectState->CRC)			{				effectState->CRC = crc;				return CG_TRUE;			}			else			{				return CG_FALSE;			}		}		break;	case CG_BOOL:		{			int nvals;			CGbool val = *cgGetBoolStateAssignmentValues(aState, &nvals);			if(val != effectState->CRC)			{				effectState->CRC = val;				return CG_TRUE;			}			else			{				return CG_FALSE;			}		}		break;	default:		{			ASSERTFATAL(true, "Invalid state type");		}		break;	}}
I did some further checking, and I found that the following states are causing a huge slowdown: FragmentProgram and VertexProgram. If I create states for everything but those two, everything slows down to 3 fps in debug mode. If I create state callbacks for those two states alone, everything goes up to 28 fps in debug.

Now, the thing is, that its so fast because the states aren't being set properly. Adding state callbacks for boolean values, results in the boolean values not being set properly... no wonder things speed up when not setting them properly.

I tried calling the cgSetProgramStateAssignmentValue() function, but that doesn't quite work either... :(

So what is the proper way of handling state assignments?

[Edited by - wiegje85 on April 30, 2010 5:49:40 PM]
Another, desperate, shameless bamp at the discrete interval of roughly 24 hours.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement