Sign in to follow this  
evren bingol

Goal Keeper Dive Time.

I am working on a soccer Game. I need to calculate the goalkeepers' dive animation start time. I calculate how long a shot takes to hit a the goal's surface. I need to get the goal animation to dive at the right moment to intercept the goal keeper. Any suggestion Thanks in advanced.

Surely this is trivial: if the dive animation takes 0.5 seconds between starting the dive and the animation reaching the point where the ball is in the keeper's hands, you calculate when the ball will reach the goal (or more likely, the point near the goalkeeper) and start the dive 0.5 seconds before that time.

Dive Time = Ball-at-goal Time - Dive Duration

What am I missing?

So What you saying is correct IF we assume that goal keeper dive animation ends when the goal reaches the goal.

But I want the goal keeper the play the dive animation , catch the ball and continue its fall.
(fall is last part of the animation,)
So say the last 0.3 seconds of the animation is the part where he falls to the ground after catching the ball.

However this last (0.3) second depends on where the ball goes.
If the ball is closer to ground than maybe the last part of this animation if going to take only 0.1 seconds.

So factors are, time it takes to reach the goal and players exact contact time with the ball in the animation( which is what i need to calculate since it changes according to where the ball goes)

So to make this short I need to calculate when the keeper catches the ball exactly with in the animation.

Or alternatively I guess i could divide the goal surface to grids and bake dive animations for each of the spot on the grid.
And make sure ball hits the center of the grids.

I even confused myself

Being a goalkeeper myself, I can give you a few tips.
You'll need to keep an eye on the time the keeper needs to react. If his vision is blocked by other players for example, he'll react once he sees the ball.
Sometimes a keeper will speculate where the striker will place the shot, the reaction time is much less here if he guesses the correct corner. If not, the reaction until he jumps will take longer than usual.
Usually a goalkeeper will be in a crouching-like position. This enables you to block shots that are low much easier as opposed to when standing straight up. And in addition to this you're already in a good position to use your leg muscles to jump when the shot comes high, or rather far away from your position.
These are just some things you can keep in mind, and it's up to you to decide how you handle/implement them if you want to. There's plenty more. I suggest you watch a few goalkeeper vids on youtube, to see how they position themselves. If a striker comes at an angle, it's the keepers first intention to guard the near post of the goal, rather than the far one.

This doesn't really help in dividing the animations up, but I thought that some of these facts might be of interest to you.