Protecting your files (or don't touch my .bmp)

Started by
13 comments, last by Megatron 22 years, 8 months ago
Would it not be easier to just calculate a checksum of all the data in your graphics (add all bytes, and mod by 2^32).

Then in your code, do a checksum of the graphics, and compare it to your precalc''d checksum. If they do not match, the graphics have been mucked with.

I think this is a more effective solution, as it would be difficult to modify the graphics such that the checksum is the same.

And in your game, you can do something like - make the game insanely difficult if it detects the graphics have been messed with (like give your player 2 hit points, and double all the enemys'' power or something like that, heheheh).

Advertisement
Um idea, the resource file thing sounds nice because the textures will be compiled into the exe file, that way the only way they can get to you images is to crack the exe open, I would change my dibs into ico file that way they would have to own a software program inorder to edit the ico, but then if you compile the ico into the exe that would be even more secured, you could also add a feature to calculate the values of the red, green, and blue colors of your image through somesort of mathematical equation that way when the program is ran and the images have a value that false the program will not run.

Just some ideas that I''ve thought of but I wouldn''t care if someone uses my textures just aslong as they give me credit, because some aren''t fortuned enought to beable to own a Photoshop, 3D Studio Max, Maya, Lightwave, and all those other VERY exspensive are programs.
I''ve never understood the reasoning behind all this concern about people tampering with your game''s files. As other people have said here, who CARES if Joe Blow changes the main character to look like George Bush? Who does it harm if he changes the sound of the gun firing to the sound of a car horn? For me, once I get sick of a game like Warcraft or Doom or something I''ve had kicking around for years, I can get a whole new experience out of it by just changing the art around or recording some funny replacement sound effects.

Most commercial games nowadays encourage people to modify them now, to give more entertainment and replay value. I see no reason to kill yourself writing complex error checking code when there isn''t any harm done by the data being changed.

Anthracks
I''d care if anyone come down and hack my program/game.
I would be honored. That means that ppl really USE your program and CARE about it
I do agree, though, that games like Quake and so on really MUST be alterable (?) ''cause it keeps the games alive. (CS for half-life is a perfect example.)
But if i, say, make a program, and only release a shareware version of it, and i some day find crack for it, i would be REALLY honored, ''cause then i know that ppl thinks it''s a good program.

Electron

"Who need more than 640kb of RAM?" -Bill gates -89

--Electron"The truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it.""'General failure trying to read from file' - who is General Failure, and why is he reading my file??"
I would protect my graphics, in the defense that someone could steal your textures and use them in _their_ game... Don''t you just hate when ppl steal your work and get more credit then you did?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement