Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeschutesCore

Using EXT_point_parameters for particles...

OK guys and gals, It''s been a long time since I''ve posted, and an even longer since I last lurked, but I''m stumped on my current particle engine, which is, of course, based on nehe''s code. I''m debating the value of EXT_point_parameters as it was supported on legacy hardware such as the voodoo and permedia (or at least I thought they were) and I''d like to accelerate particles via a majority of hardware versus just GeForce or Radeon boards. Any suggestions and does EXT_point_parameters play well with this? The particles will actually occupy a very limited amount of space on screen, but I want to avoid any performance hit and still have the ammout of control found in Black and White''s particle system. Any other suggestions aside from EXT_point_parameters? Thanks in advance, Jason

EXT_point_parameters was used in quake2 so i assume its save to say most cards can do it.
if youre happy enuf with gl_points use it, beware though u cant texture them. but they should in all cases be quicker than using textured quads as particles

zedzeek,
Thanks for the reply.

I managed to get a a few test builds last night with GL_POINTS versus using a textured quad and while there is a vast speed difference, the effect just isn''t the same.

You''re dead on though, you can''t texture them, which I completely overlooked. Are there any other extensions I should look at that are aimed at particles, or are they still simply normal GL based objects and I just should just code a intelligently as possible?

I would be careful about using GL_POINTS, because it seems the Radeon (and some other cards) either doesn't do a good job rendering them, or it does them in software, in any case, POINTS are rather slow on it.

I would do what Quake2 does, and if the card supports point_parameters then use GL_POINTS, but if it doesn't, then use textured triangle strips.

Edited by - NitroGL on August 9, 2001 11:02:43 AM