Sign in to follow this  
Grunty

Texture arrays perfomance

greetings.... i have some questions about texture arrays. iam working with directx 11 and wonder whats the perfomance on texture arrays. is the performance different when i create an texture array with 20 textures or 100 textures ? and whats about when i want to update one of the textures in the array ? is the performance different compared to a single texture when i want to update it ? background is that i want to use a large texture array in my vertex shader for vertex texture fetches. based on 'w' value of the texture coodinates i want to index the texture needed for vertices to displace the Y value. the minimum hardware level i want to support is 10.0, 10.1 and 11. could i get any problem when i try to use texture arrays ? ofcourse something like: "works great on ATI but not so good on NVDIA." etc.. thanks for reading....

That sounds like an unusual combination. I think you best option is to try it out and see if it's fast enough for what you need it for.

If you're lacking in test hardware you could post a small benchmark program for people to try.

Here's some vertex texturing benchmark results I found with a quick search: http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/video/juniper-p10.html